• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Baking an Asus P5N32-E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vogster

So I received a non-functioning Asus P5N32-E and two 8800GTXs for free. I tried the 8800GTXs in another computer and they wouldn't boot and I ended up reading a post about baking 8800GTXs in the oven to revive them. I tried it and it worked! Since I also had this P5N32-E that wasn't working I decided to try baking it too so I took everything off that could come off and baked it at 385 for 8 minutes. I was worried about all the plastic melting. I popped the qx6700 that came with it back in and bam, it booted right up. I got windows loaded and am running prime95 at stock settings just to test for stability and so far so good. I cannot believe that actually worked.

So far it seems quite stable at stock speeds. Going to see if I can overclock this now.

So I received a non-functioning Asus P5N32-E and two 8800GTXs for free. I tried the 8800GTXs in another computer and they wouldn't boot and I ended up reading a post about baking 8800GTXs in the oven to revive them. I tried it and it worked! Since I also had this P5N32-E that wasn't working I decided to try baking it too so I took everything off that could come off and baked it at 385 for 8 minutes. I was worried about all the plastic melting. I popped the qx6700 that came with it back in and bam, it booted right up. I got windows loaded and am running prime95 at stock settings just to test for stability and so far so good. I cannot believe that actually worked.

Holy crap. :shock:

That's amazing. Lol. I would love to see if you can do any OC'ing on that board!

Now the only question is, did it come out medium-rare or well-done?

Duh-dum-PSH.

Its running at 3ghz with stock core voltage and ran for 10 hours on prime95. If I go much above that on stock voltage it gets unstable.

*raises hand politely* Excuse me, I have a question Vogster. Did this motherboard post before you baked it? I'm wondering how messed up it was, trying to gauge the efficacy of the bake method.

'preesh. :thup:

The motherboard did not post before I baked it. It would power up but I got no display even with a known working video card and it wouldn't power a USB mouse.

The 'efficacy' of this method has been shown in the large baking thread we have here. Normally its done on a GPU but if its soldering issues that caused it, a mobo will still work.

@ OP - Congrats on the success!

Update: Motherboard seems to have died again... I think I'm going to call it quits. I got it up to 3.2ghz and then it stopped posting again. On a positive note the 2 8800gtx's I baked are still going strong.

Back