• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton rumours suggest to a 400MHz frontside bus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M@€$†®Ö™

Official Weight Watcher Staff
Linkage

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=6327

AMD techno snippets from Comdex

By Paul Hales: Wednesday 20 November 2002, 13:49

A-WANDERING AROUND the Caverns of Comdex, Anandtech hears that AMD's upcoming Barton core will sport a 400MHz frontside bus. There's not much else to add, but the snippet is in their show report here.

The site's reporters also spotted an Athlon XP 64 running at 1.4GHz, which they reckon was around the speed of a 2.2GHz Pentium 4 or Athlon XP 2200+, having run some 3DMark tests on the beast.

TecChannel, having chatted with some AMDers at the show, reckons the Athlon XP with a Barton core and bigger L2-Cache will deliver 10-15 per cent more performance than a comparable Thoroughbred Athlon. The PR rating for the chip will therefore need tweaking, they reckon, here.

A Barton running at a clock speed 2133MHz, which, on the current core, would amount to an Athlon XP 2600+, could well sport a PR rating of 3000+, they say. They hadn't heard Anand's rumour on the frontside bus speed at the time though.

An nForce2 board with a 400MHz fsb was demoed at the show. Anand's techies reckon the 400MHz FSB improves performance of an Athlon XP by between 10 and 15 per cent. What this will mean for the Barton-cored Athlon remains to be seen, of course.

If this is true it sounds really good. AMD is finally catching up with Intel at the FSB front, its good, the Hammer is supposed to run at 400x2FSB (800)! As will the future P4s as Intel roadmaps suggest. a stock of 400FSB will give the Barton even more performance increase, I think this will be an AWESOME chip

oh yea. heh. im totally looking forward to barton. I fully expect the 3000+ to be this.. unfortunatly... my mobo doesnt have a 1/6 divider, so no 200 mhz for me :( but im sure a 366 mhz fsb speed will work out in my favour just as well.
thanks for the intel.

Back