• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton Still On Track And Current PR Rating Is Still A Go Ahead!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was under the impression that because of the optimizations and the added L2 cache AMD was redoing the PR for the Bartons and that the 2500+ was going to be a 1.67Ghz cpu not a 2Ghz because if it was 2Ghz then it would be following the old PR for current athlon xps.

I don't think they'll be redoing the PR's too much. It's enough confusion as is. It's be better to just stick with the same system. Plus barton isn't a completely redesigned chip. It's like, there the XP's, .13 XP's (t-bred), then .13 XP's with a fat cache (barton). MHz-wise a barton should be able to do whatever the t-breds can, and I'm sure that by the time the .13 process matures (i.e. better steppings) we'll be OCing those chits like mad.

Just think, AGKGA was'nt all that great for overclocking. With a vmod I still only got it 190 MHz over spec, like 150 without the vmod. Now look at the AROIA and AGOIA steppings. People get 400-500 MHz OC's with the 1600's and ~350 with the 2000's and up. Hell, some people get the 1600 to 2GHz, that's a 600 MHz overclock ala P4 1.6a. But 600 MHz on an XP is worth a whole lot more than 600 MHz on a P4...

I think once the t-bred matures we'll see some good things, but that small die size is gonna hurt on the heat tip. Once those bartons come around I think we'll see some great things! Bigger die, bigger cache, high MHz, what's not to like?

--Illah

yea but they are also suppost to come with several of the hammer optimizations to make them faster yet. I think between that and the added L2 cache it would greatly improve performance and that was what I understood the reason that the PR was being redone for Bartons. There were several posts i also remember where people discussed the new PR...unless something has changed since then.

if the PR rating of the cpu's go up then they HAVE to name them higher than 200mhz more just for comparison (sp?) it would also be dumb not to...it will cause no confusion to the current amd users as long as amd tells us how much MHz more they are

Back