• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best 1080p tv tuner?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Benitora

Hey guys I'm looking for a really nice tv tuner and was wondering what you guys think would be best. I was looking at both internal and external. I'm heavily considering the external more for a couple of reasons.

1. I can place under my monitor and watch tv in my bed.
2. Space in my case
3. Added heat in my case

So with that being said, would I lose any benefit of an internal card, beside it not being inside the case? Also which are the best cards for external and internal.

I have the HDHomeRun from SiliconDust. It's an external network tuner, so you can actually use it on more than one system when connected to a switch or multi-port router. It can work with either OTA signal or, if you have basic cable, unencrypted QAM.

As far as internal goes, I don't follow them much. If you're interested in subscribing to a cable plan, you can also go the CableCard route and watch/record subscription content in HD. Recent driver and firmware releases make the old (previously OEM-only) ATi CableCards usable on any system. You can find them on eBay for a couple hundred. Early next year the Ceton CableCards will be released and they look spectacular.

Back