• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Monitor/TV for around £250

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deshg

Hey everyone,

I'm work from home using the computer all day long (IT consultant), I generally use my laptop and ridiculously I use the laptop screen which is obviously absurd! I need to buy a proper sized monitor (24" - 26") but as my office is also my second bedroom I would ideally like to get a monitor/TV combo so it can be used by guests when they're staying. By far the most important thing is the monitor usage though so quality shouldn't be lost on this for the sake of the TV. I obviously want Full HD and HDMI if poss and want to spend around £250.

I don't ever play games on the PC I use it purely for programming, editing images in photoshop and other everyday tasks. As a result I would really appreciate any advice anyone can give, I have a few queries:

1) Am I right in saying that LED TVs are generally better than standard LCDs in terms of the quality of the display (other than just how thin it is)?
2) Is there any general reason why TV/Monitor combos will be any worse than straight monitors (other than being a bit more expensive due to the additional TV functionality)?
3) I was looking at this one: http://www.ebuyer.com/279552-lg-m2780d-27in-lcd-tv-monitor-full-hd-gloss-black-m2780d-pz, what do you think?

Thanks very much guys!

Dave

1. LED TVs are the form of backlighting, I think they are better for energy savings and brightness they say?

2. I'm not aware of anything holding back a TV/Monitor combo. Probably can get a higher quality monitor more cheaply than you can get a combo for the same price.

3. I think thats too big to use as a monitor - I find myself straining with bigger monitors, where if its just the right size I'm comfortable sitting at a normal computer usage distance.

Welcome to the forums! :welcome: Others should pitch in some thoughts too, surprised you didn't get any replies sooner. :thup:

May want to check out the feedback in this thread about monitors, though it doesn't cover the TV aspect:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687937

1. they do seem to have a better coplor reproduction but usually cost more.
2. As long as the dot pitch is similar they are the same and are actually usually cheaper here but the bezel is usually larger and the very bottom of the screen may be higher from the bottom of the stand. Also they are usually not able to change viewing angle.
3. Looks good to me, had a HP 2710m that I loved but still replaced witrh a similar priced 32 in TV combo. I don't see well anymore.

Back