• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to transfer files between 2 PC's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

I have 2 PC's but only one has an internet connection right now (56K). I dont have broadband available in my area, so I'll have to stick with 56K.

I would like a way to transfer files between my 2 PC's without removable media. So I was thinking I could pick up a NIC and install it in one of my PC's (the other already has onboard ethernet connector), then get a long cat 5 cable (I think thats what they call them, I'm not farmiliar with any of this networking/LAN stuff) and connect the two. Then when I d/l a file off the net and need it for my other PC I can just send it over instead of burning a CD. And I may even be able to play online games or something with someone else in the house.... Would this work? If so, how?!

Both machines would be running win XP.

How much do you think I would be spending for it work if all I needed was a NIC card and ethernet cable?

yeah get another NIC for the other computer.... setup ICS & FS "internet connections sharing & file sharing" and that should work :)

Why would I need a hub? Can I just plug each end of the cable into each PC? Or is that what the crossover cable is for?

Which would be the least expensive/less hastle?

You will need a crossover cable at the very least to connect the two computers. However, for a small outlay (less than $50) you can get a switch (don't get a hub) that you can use in the future if you ever want to connect another computer to your LAN.

Yeah. I got a 4-port switching router for $30 after $30 rebate during one of those specials they run every now and again. It was a pretty good deal. You might not need the router now, but when broadband DOES come to your area.....

Ok, so it boils down to this. What I will need:

Option #1
1 NIC. (any sort of specs or brand I should look for?)
1 crossover cable. (how long do they make these? Are they
called anything technical, or just "crossover
cable" ?)

Option #2
1 NIC.
1 hub or switch/ router? (how many ports would I want? What
are some good brands to look for?)
2 regular cat 5 cables

Is that it?

I don't know if a bestbuy is available in your area, but they always have sales on networking stuff, right now you can get a switch for like $29 or $39 and a NIC for like $5 after rebates...although a crossover cable there would cost you about $20, it would be cheaper to make your own x-over cable, but if you're knew to this you might want to shy away from trying that. i recommened getting a switch or a router and setting up a network instead of limiting yourself with a crossover cable.

~jeff~

Agreed. It's a matter of how much you wanna spend right now. I used to use my switch when I had 3 pcs and now I have 2 so I just run x-over. both are good solutions.

Well I got a 5 port hub for $30 and it is great when someone comes over i just pull out a network cable(not crossover) plug in and just change there ip address. Boom Win98SE finds it. and i got the internet connection sharing disk made so if they want online just install it.

I checked my local staples today, saw some network cables made by belkin, some were like cat 6 or something, they were pretty expensive. I checked almost every package and couldn't find the words cross-over on it. Will it specificly say "CROSS OVER" on it, or another fancy name?

Where can I buy cheap crossover cable? (25-50ft)

if worse comes to worse get a short x-over cable, an inline rj-45 coupler and some longer regular cat5 cable and do that instead.

~jeff~

I did this myself. On one computer I used the onboard NIC and I installed a PCI NIC on the other. Got 10' of ***crossover***cable, connected the 2 puters, ran the networking program from XP to the ME and voila. The only thing I can't figure out is how to share the dial up connection, but who cares, it's too slow anyways.

But just to be able to share files and play LAN games when a friend comes over in itself is worth it!

Don't forget to change drives/files/folders to "share" mode once you network.

Back