• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Biostar TA880GU3+ Overclock RAM vs CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Apv507

I recently got a new Biostar TA880GU3+ Motherboard and it has an automatic overclocking program and allows me to OC my AMD Athlon II 270 from 3.4 to 3.9 by changing just one setting in my bios. It also allows me to manually overclock. If I do it automatically my RAM runs at 766 mhz @ 9 clocks. My RAM is 8 gigs of kingston hyperx 1333 mhz supposed to be at 7 clocks. I can change my RAM timings and make it go into XMP mode and it runs at the 7 clocks it is supposed to, but when I try to overclock my CPU manually It ends up running at 3.5 max. Can someone help me get the most of out my RAM and OC my CPU to 3.9 at the same time? Right now I have to pick one or the other and I'd like to be able to do both obviously.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I found out how to change the RAM to the settings I want and I can change the FSB speed up to 230 from 200, which is what CPU-Z tells me my bus speed is when I do the Automatic Overclock, but when I try this my mobo won't post and I have to clear my CMOS. I have a feeling I'm missing some other setting, possibly voltages?

Last edited:
Automatic overclocking tools seldom manipulate enough variables to give both a high and a stable overclock. One of the things they typically don't augment is the CPU voltage, a critical parameter in overclocking. By all means, overclock manually.

Please download and install the following three programs, they are all free: CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95. They are standard overclocking tools around here. Then run CPU-z. Please attach screenshots of these three tabs of the program: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". That will give us a lot of info about your system and bios settings. "Snipping Tool" in Windows Accessories is an excellent tool for cropping and capturing desktop images. To attach them to your post, go to the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of the new post window and then when the Advanced window pops up click on the paperclip tool at the top. The rest will be obvious.

Thanks Trents,

The auto is stable for the CPU but it doesn't automatically do the RAM too, so I see the value in doing it manually. I have the CPU automatically overclocked in the attached CPU-Z screenshots, also you can see the RAM is capable of XMP-1334 and my bios has a Memory Information feature that shows me the timings required to get the ram to run in XMP as well as its standard timings.

I know for a fact this ram can run at a CL of 7 because that's what it was advertised at and I've gotten it to run at 7 on this computer, just not with my Athlon OC'ed too. I'm pretty sure the only information I'm missing is the voltage changes required to overclock the CPU. I'm guessing I'll have to give the NB Voltage and possibly something else as well?

Simply question: The voltage values in my Bios are either green, yellow or red, obviously for the risk invovled. How reliable are these colors as indicators of safety?

I was able to Overclock the CPU and change the RAM timing with it causing the computer not to boot, but I can't get the RAM to run at 1333mhz, I have it set at 1066 in the bios but its running at ~1226mhz. Trying to set it to 1333 causes the computer not to boot again.

Also speedfan and hwmonitor no long detect my CPU's temp. although I can still check it in the bios?? I have the Bios set to shutdown the computer if it reaches 70 degrees Celsius so I'm not concerned about it burning up, but it still means something is wrong that neither program can detect the temp of the CPU.

I meant to attach my CPU-Z stuff with my last post, but since I got it OC'ed and running here is my OC'ed CPU-Z.

Just out of curiosity if I had to pick between overclocking the ram or the cpu which would get me more of a boost?

And I'm not trying to bump this thread, I just want to keep those trying to help me informed and I don't like to just sit around and wait for answers, I try to find it out on my own instead of depending on others help, however it's always appreciated!

Last edited:
Back