• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE BIOSTAR Z590 VALKYRIE Motherboard Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Great write-up Shawn. Looks like a solid board for intel. But looking at it reminds me of Asus' fugly Sabertooth/TUF series boards.

Thanks Neb, definitely has a style of its own

Interesting gimmick with the backside heatsink. Not a fan of the big light on the IO guard but I prefer as little RGB as possible so that might be me.

Interesting gimmick with the backside heatsink.
Gimmick? While clearly not as effective as a full-fledged heatsink, both motherboard and videocard vendors have used this 'additional' cooling/support for generations. I cant imagine it making anything worse. :shrug:

Oh I didn't mean it would do any worse. I also don't think it really do much good either. To me its just another "feature" to sell, nothing else really. I remember back in the day we used to put fans on the backside to help cool but I don't remember it doing much then either. This is just a passive version of that so a gimmick imo.

Looks like it's a bit better than the ITX version that I'm testing. Feels like it's asking for a BIOS tweaking. The ITX version has the same 5.19 BIOS and is simply not working at Gear 1 at more than 3200-3466 (depends on RAM density). Other things seem similar so the same good CPU overclocking but problems with RAM overclocking regardless if it's at Gear 1 or 2.

Looks like it's a bit better than the ITX version that I'm testing. Feels like it's asking for a BIOS tweaking. The ITX version has the same 5.19 BIOS and is simply not working at Gear 1 at more than 3200-3466 (depends on RAM density). Other things seem similar so the same good CPU overclocking but problems with RAM overclocking regardless if it's at Gear 1 or 2.

Check the 3600 memory strap. If it's 36x100 it won't work, I had them add 27 x 133 and now it can run 3600. Maybe that BIOS is a bit different?

I think I had only one option and some ratio/bclk combinations were not on the list ... but I forgot to check that so will confirm some time later. On Supermicro 36x100 didn't work too. Today Biostar sent me a new BIOS so I will check it later this week.

Update:
- there was only a 36x100 option on 5.19 BIOS for the ITX version, Gear 1 didn't work
- there is only a 27x133 option on 6.10 BIOS for the ITX version, Gear 1 works fine, 36x100 is no more on the list, was replaced with the 27x133

Tested with 2x32GB DDR4-3600 kit. XMP at DDR4-3600 works now too.

It takes them a bit, good to see it's making its way through the line-up

Back