• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bitcoin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a really basic probably stupid question but I couldn't find an answer since its so basic. What does the number mean listed before the kh/s in cgminer mean? When I drop from 15 intensity to 12 to watch videos this number drops from around 350k to 200k but the kh/s number stays roughly the same. Wondering how it relates to the amount of coins earned.

This is a really basic probably stupid question but I couldn't find an answer since its so basic. What does the number mean listed before the kh/s in cgminer mean? When I drop from 15 intensity to 12 to watch videos this number drops from around 350k to 200k but the kh/s number stays roughly the same. Wondering how it relates to the amount of coins earned.

IIRC the default intensity is 10 right? ill put it this way

Higher Intensities

from 16-20 (20 being max) your AMD graphics card will mine faster. but the downside will be barely responsive screen and more power consumption. so this setting would be a good choice for a DEDICATED miner. not on your main computer

Lower Intensities

from 10-15 these are the ones you want to use for your main desktop if you have it mine when left idle. the good part is that its desktop is still responsive and uses less power. but it will not mine as fast as intensities which are 16 to 20.

Thanks, I understand intensity but don't understand the value listed before the hashrate.

I have other problems now. My two msi twin frozr 7950s arrived today and I'm having problems with them. I couldn't get cgminer to run at the thread concurrency recommended by the consolidated litecoin mining guide(21712 or 24000). If I try to those values I get what is shown in the first image in cgminer

It will run at 8000 thread concurrency but no higher. But one of the cards is running pretty hot even at 100% fan shown in the second image.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to return them and get the sapphire 3l.

My batch file:
cgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://middlecoin.com:3333 -u 1FQnf6yNrbcAiNju5MuxSWdnGPwUJJX1FY -p x --shaders 1792,1792 --thread-concurrency 8000,8000 -I 15,15 --worksize 256,256 -g 1 --gpu-fan 100,100

Edit: This is setup on an asrock z77 extreme 4 motherboard. There is a slot between the two cards.

Also I uninstalled drivers after installing the cards and installed 12.8 catalyst without sdk and then sdk 2.7.

Attachments

• cg.jpg
    cg.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 50
  • cg2.jpg
    cg2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
would this be your main desktop sir? if so, then leave the intensity at 13 with the TC at 8192. that way, your miner dosent act weird after playing games like bf3.

if this computer is being used as a dedicated miner though, then use these two commands in the CMD prompt

Code:
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1

then use TC 21000 and that should do it. careful with intensity 20. if your doing stuff while its mining, it will be super slow and too much window activity can cause the driver to stop responding and crash. or put the computer to where you need to do a hard reset. happened to me a few times.

The setx command fixed the problem with thread concurrency. The first card is way to hot, it sits at 100 and the hash rate was dropping so I shut the computer down. I think I'm going to get a refund on the cards. Not working anything like I thought it would.

Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
G Skill Sniper 1600 2x8gb
2500k 4.5ghz
2x MSI Twin Frozr 7950 OC
2x Hitachi 1tb in raid 0
Corsair 850hx

open up catalyst and go to the performance tab. you should see temps of one of your cards there. launch the miner and tell us the temps the card jumps to while they are mining.

mine go up to 80c when i leave them mine.

In catalyst it is only showing the second card. After mining for a couple minutes it was showing 80-81. cgminer was showing the same but also showing 101 for the first card.

I decided to swap the cards on the motherboard. The card in the first slot obviously has cooling issues (thermal paste?). So I figured it would get a little bit more airflow in the bottom slot. It helped the temps so far, now gpu0: 69 gpu1: 83. I'm sure the room will heat up some and temps will rise a bit.

I left out that the case is a Silverstone TJ07 with the side currently off and I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Also these cards are sucking a whole lot more juice. I have a killawatt and with my single 6950 it was showing ~260watts mining. With the two 7950s its ~680watts at intensity 17. It is higher than I thought.

In catalyst it is only showing the second card. After mining for a couple minutes it was showing 80-81. cgminer was showing the same but also showing 101 for the first card.

I decided to swap the cards on the motherboard. The card in the first slot obviously has cooling issues (thermal paste?). So I figured it would get a little bit more airflow in the bottom slot. It helped the temps so far, now gpu0: 69 gpu1: 83. I'm sure the room will heat up some and temps will rise a bit.

I left out that the case is a Silverstone TJ07 with the side currently off and I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Also these cards are sucking a whole lot more juice. I have a killawatt and with my single 6950 it was showing ~260watts mining. With the two 7950s its ~680watts at intensity 17. It is higher than I thought.

totally normal. dont worry about it. just set them up in crossfire and run a heaven benchmark test to make sure they are working

you can also try furmark. IIRC they show temps of both cards.

I finally see some results from Primecoin solo mining, but only on the hex core 980x. 2 blocks in one day, both worth 10.5xxx each. That alone puts me way ahead what I was averaging with yPool, about even what I had in total mining for yPool for a number of days. The other 2 PCs (3 cores from the 3770s and 4 from the x4) still have nil.

Btw, a GPU OpenCL miner for Primecoin should be coming within about 2 weeks or so. Even with a Nvidia card, it should make some big numbers.

Yeah, we're all waiting for it. Might
not make CPU obsolete though... I predict price rising with lesser block reward.

It'll be nice if I can run the GPU with the CPU. My hexa-core also has 2x560TI. 2 GPU miners with a CPU miner would be very interesting.

The gpu miner is opencl based, so AMD will be way better, just a heads up. (if we're talking mtrlt's reaper)
Also, it uses cpu more than regular cgminer, so cpu and gpu mining will be limited, unless you assign certain half the cores to each process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back