• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blackmage Theory of Console VS Graphic cards Evolution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blackmage

OK, So we all no PS3/Revolution/X-BOX360 are coming out! and they look like their Graphics Processor Will Eat up todays and next generation PC CPU's UP! i believe this Correct!

For this current Generation we have the best Boys 6800UE/ X850XTPE being the best of the bunch!

For the Next we have the best boys 7800GTX And X900XTPE being the best of the bunch.

And because graphic card, releases seem to go in a 6 month cycle, i believe that
next next generation of video cards The Nvida 8800 and the ATI XX00 series,

Will be the 360/PS3/Rev console Killers, buy the looking at the specs of the next generation of video cards, i don't see how the can match next gen consoles, all the next generation cards have are more pipe's clock speeds ain't improved by much!

Thats where i was sitting down thing these next generation cards can't be no where as power full as the Consoles, i think the next next generation cards that come out at the end of year will be the console killers not the 7800, X900 series!

Anyone agree?

i agree, those graphics on games like gears of war (xbox 360) and need for speed most wanted (multiple next gen systems) look insane. i dont think we will match that for 1 to 2 releases after the g70 and r520.

the Xbox GPU has 48 pipes. that's 3x that of the best card now. These machines are dedicated for graphics and that's what they're going to do best. Sure the 8800 series of Nvidia or whatever ATI puts out may then have 48 pipes but who the hell wants to pay 2x as much as they would for an Xbox360 for just a graphics card. I sure don't.

Once we get 8800s, we will pwn consoles once again, leaving them looking decidedly ropey and painful to the eyes for another 4 or so years before the next gen of consoles comes out.

I see what you mean, Blackmage, but also isn't the graphics engine of the X-Box 360 a modded R520? Also the original X-Box had a modded Geforce 3 in it and, considering that was the last of the current gen of consoles to be released (erm I think,) we have been through 3 generations of graphics cards since then.

Computers will ALWAYS be superior.

What true advantage will the Xbox360 have come november? Dual core processors? We already got those now. Video card? Geforce 7 is about to be released and that is supposed to be more powerful than whats in the PS3. The only place where consoles have it better is memory. Would be nice to have dual DDR3 1066mhz memory :santa: .

The only reason consoles perform so well as they do is because all the do is play games. They dont a bloated OS or 10 other useless applications. All the hardware is specificaly designed to run games.

all i was saying is that i don't think that the next genration will be capable of xbox 360/ps3 graphics, i the the 8800series will be capable of that and much more!

Do you all not care about or are just kidding yourself about these PC graphics cards? The #1 problem with them is that the Xbox360 is going to be $300-$360 while these graphics cards will definately be much more $$$

i personally think you guys are being very pessimistic. epic has said that the unreal 3 engine, (which will be on pc's, and a dev tool on next gen consoles) will run on 6600gt's without a problem. now im not suggesting that a 6600gt running some unreal 3 based game will match the iq of a xbox 360, but if the next gen is 3 to 4 times faster then a 6600gt then us pc gamers are laughing

Overclocker550 said:
Radeon X900 XT-PE
• 32 Pixel-Pipelines
• 10 Vertex-Shader Einheiten
• 90nm low-k bei TSMC
• 500 Mhz Chiptakt
• 700 MHz (1,4 Ghz) Speichertakt
• 512 MB GDDR-3

Radeon X900 XT
• 32 Pixel-Pipelines
• 90nm low-k bei TSMC
• 450 Mhz Chiptakt
• 600 MHz (1,2 Ghz) Speichertakt
• 512 MB GDDR-3

Radeon X900 Pro
• 24 Pixel-Pipelines
• 90nm low-k bei TSMC
• 450 Mhz Chiptakt
• 600 MHz (1,2 Ghz) Speichertakt
• 256/512 MB GDDR-3

Radeon X900
• 16 Pixel-Pipelines
• 8 Vertex-Shader Einheiten
• 110nm low-k bei TSMC
• 500 Mhz Chiptakt
• 500 MHz (1,0 Ghz) Speichertakt
• 256/512 MB GDDR-3

some contridictions. Firstly why would ati use .110nm on the x900? second of all theres NO low K for 110nm. I agree with the pipes and the names are common sense. was expecting the core clocks to be much higher, even the .130nm x850s are 540 core!

Look at the what OC550 said to me it jus doesnt make any sense it's like that have take an X850XTPE an added 16 pipes in some cases 8 :( and havent changed the core/ram speeds in some cases they are even slower?

Apparently the R500 and R520 are completely different beasts, of course I'm sure there are some parallels, but suffice to say that we can't compare it to the R520.

Also, to answer Overclocker550s question of "why would ati use .110nm on the x900?" it's because they're using a smaller core in terms of transistors and can probably get better yields out of it at a larger feature size. It's all about economics, but I think they know what they're doing.

Also the site that quoted those specs originally said they were rumours.

One more thing, the thing that will distance PC gaming from consoles is the PPU, I can't wait to get one, they look amazing. For all you console people... unlucky, no PPU for you!

I really hope the PPU catches on though, it's a much needed addition to games today and I think it'll revolutionise gaming.

As far as rendering power goes, I think the Xbox360 certainly has a lead for this round, but come next year at the same time there will be better cards out for the PC. I can't remember the specs of the PS3, but I think the RSX in it is very similar to the G70, so with SLI and a G70, people will definitely have a PC which is more powerful than the PS3 and almost as powerful as the Xbox360 in rendering performance.

Back