• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blower experts.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ls7corvete

Well I have been looking at blowers and how people have been using them, mostly the proforums stuff, there seems to be alot of talk there.

Here is what I have found....(dont outbid me....)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58321&item=5724853125&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36323&item=3845247846&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

http://www.comairrotron.com/dc_motorized_family.asp?FamilyID=23

Any thoughts?

Greenman......

I am most interested in noise, I have no Idea how this thing will sound. I know performance is gonna blow an axial fan outa the water. I would put it in a setup like this:

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=10059&page=2&pp=25&highlight=comair+rotron

very profesional looking. Hopefully I can get something similar to look as good as that.

So I know we have some blower experts out there, any Idea on the noise of this thing? Maybe a better alternative, I would really rather not have that 48v PSU in there If I didnt have to.

I'm not exactly a blower expert, but chances are you could run it at a lower voltage and have it be quiet, it'll most likely be atleast fairly loud at 48V.

The PS is .5A at 48V, the blower is .51A at 48V.

Not that the PS for sure won't handle it, but I don't think it's the best idea....

At that point why dont you just got get an electric radiator fan from a car and replace your entire side panel of your computer with it. Anyone know in MM what an 18" fan would be. Use one from a honda civic or Geo Metro they electric fans are pretty small comparing it to an electric fan from a large car. Someone was joking about using a radiator from a car for there water cooling rig. Hmm I wonder how many car parts I could stuff into my computer.

Capt Fiero said:
At that point why dont you just got get an electric radiator fan from a car and replace your entire side panel of your computer with it. Anyone know in MM what an 18" fan would be. Use one from a honda civic or Geo Metro they electric fans are pretty small comparing it to an electric fan from a large car. Someone was joking about using a radiator from a car for there water cooling rig. Hmm I wonder how many car parts I could stuff into my computer.

because blowers are a lot more efficent at moving air through resistance than axial fans

do you know what moves air through the heatercore ina car?

hint: it starts with a "b" and ends with a "lower"

I am well aware of what is used in a car to push air through a heater core. Up until August I worked for one of the largest automotive heating and cooling companys in the world. We specialized in automotive Radiators and Heater Cores, also selling AC condensors, compressors, fuel tanks and all manor of device to remove or add heat to something.

I have a squirl cage blower sitting in front of me that came out of an old compaq server. The thing does produce high flow air in a very directed fashion. However I did not find it to flow enough air over a large enough area to be usefull in my computer. Now to admit to what you are saying ya if you could rig up an automotive grade blower into a computer and then make a frame for it, (when removed from a car all you get is the cage and motor) I am sure you could move several hundred cfm and almost build enough pressure inside a case to pop the plexi windows out. Your cost on this would be massive amounts of noise, huge current draws and something that makes my cold air intake on my machine look tame.

When I said to use a rad fan it was more of a joke than anything else. I am sure there are much better solutions to cooling a computer than having a fan the same size as your case or one that is as loud as the heater blower motor in my car running beside me.

P.S my rad fan in my car blows a whole lot more air than my blower in my heater could ever dream of.

Surreal said:
did you go here?

http://www.surpluscenter.com

Nothing too good right now... enless you have a large external box.

Noticed the DC blower section kinda... blew.

On sort of a related matter what do people control their DC blowers with? Or AC blowers for that matter. I know some come with built in controllers but the only one there that does pulls 22amps at 12v. Definitely not trying to get that. Weird thing about it is it has a 6" diameter cage, spins at 1650rpm max and pulls that. The one above it has a 5.5" diameter, spins at 3500rpm, and pulls 9amp :confused: whatever

Dang sorry guys there site is sucking dog doo at the moment. I may just have to go down and take some pics. LOL.

The last time I was in there, 80mm fans were 2$ 92mm fans were 3$ and 120mm were 5$ as well as massive other fans for cheap, heck they even had some Nvidia OEM fans and heatsinks from the older Ti cards for 3$. Tons of computer gadgets at suprlus prices.

I just downloaded there flyer PDF, page 45 (adobe 43) they have a 240gph (4gallon per min) submersable pump for 29$ CDN. That looks pretty good for a water cooling rig. 18v cordless drill for 38$

The fan I can find is an old CPU fan in there flyer. Looks like something from a P1 o P2 machine.

They did have a nice self contained heater core and 60cfm fan but I think the price was too high, at 79$ They said it was for your car as an aux heater that connected to your cooling system.

Last edited:
Well I got the blower and DC/DC converter mentioned earlier.

For the initial testing I am surprised. This thing moves a ton of air at full speed!! Tornados, 120mm fans, nothing compares to this thing. If I had to relate it to something it would be a small oscillating fan. The noise is about the same too, pretty noisy at full speed, gets into tornado kinda noisy but at a much more pleasing pitch.

At low speed (shorted fan speed control wire) it is very quiet, hard to tell how noisy it is with the 8cm psu fan spinning. Moves good air at low speed, not to mention the added static pressure that comes from using a blower.

Well anyways, there is a huge range on this thing silent->insane amount of air, the only thing left is to test it and see how it does on a HC.

BTW With a blower the added static pressure can deal with more restriction, what do you think the optimum HC thickness is when using a blower like this one?

If you have space you could use a car blower, they are much more powerfull than those you refered. you can even make a pretty external case for the water cooling system.

I did this and it works great (my system is still a little getto but when i'll have time i'm gonna make a plexi case, paint the blower and hide the auxiliary psu.).

you can see some pics here:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=3133894#post3133894

Back