• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blue 4x40 LCD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thoughts

I've built an mp3 player for my car, running Linux and using a 4x40 LCD screen for display. You can see it at:

nodivisions.com/tech/systems/musicbox/

The problem is that the LCD is the normal greenish color, and since the interior lighting (console, etc) in my car is blue, I'd like to get an LCD with a blue backlight. The problem with THAT is, the only place I've found such an LCD in the 40x4 character size is www.electronic-assembly.de, and to buy one from them and have it shipped to the US would cost me about US$125. I don't really want to spend that much since my green one only cost me $35 from www.mpja.com.

Does anyone know of a US company from which I could buy a 4x40 blue LCD? (Hopefully) at a price comparable to a green one? www.crystalfontz.com has 4x40 displays, and the page says "available in several variations of backlight...." but I wrote to them, and they only have green.

Thanks.

you **Can** replac the LEDs in them, at least you can on cell phone LCDs....

The LEDs in my LCD are not replaceable. They are extremely tiny surface-mount / embedded components; the diode is only about 15 mils across, and there are 100 of them.

Here are some photos of my smaller 2x40 LCD, with the LC-part removed so the LEDs that comprise the backlight are visible:

dsc05850-fifty-leds-behind-my-2x20-lcd-01.jpg

dsc05853-fifty-leds-behind-my-2x20-lcd-02.jpg

Those tiny dots are the LEDs. They're 1/4 inch apart, center to center. They appear to be somehow embedded in that white PCB... there's no solder visible at all on either side of it. And even if I could figure out how they're connected in there, I'm sure it wouldn't be fun to try and remove 100 of them and then re-install 100 of a different color (assuming I could even find them in blue, and assuming they'd be the same voltage, which they usually are not).

[color=ff9000]Welcome To The Forums!!![/color]

um.. yea it looks like you won't be replacing those. I'll see if I can dig up a link for you.

Back