• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boot manager to load XP on raid 1+0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

curtis1552

Raid messed up can I recover it?

Ok, my dad had a raid 1+0 that stopped working. It is SATA setup with Silicon Image Raid Controller PCI card. The Raid disks stopped working, so he reinstalled XP on a PATA drive and has left the raid srive alone until he recovers them.

Im thinking he could boot from the two mirrored drives, but neither has a MBR (bercuase they were not primary).

I'm wondering what boot manager could load from these drives without writing to the MBR of the drive itself. I was thinking of trying SUperGRUB but I wasn't sure if it automatically installed on the harddrive.

Could someone give me a good reccomendation? either for booting or to restore the MBR on the mirrored drives.

EDIT

OK, after several hours of fiddling I found that on eof two things has happened. Either one drive is crapped or three drives are crapped.

The motherboard uses a built in Raid controller this was instaled with the Silicon Image drivers (thge oither drivers were Nvidia) The Raid controller recognises all the grives when pluggen in but does not recognize them as a RAID setup. It groups three drives together and the fourth seperately. THe three dries are not recognised as raid in the controler, and the fourth is. I need acces to the original data on two of the three original drives. I only need to backup some of the information on a CD then I can dump/format all four drives and reinstall the OS (will now be on a fifth drive not in raid - storage files will be in raid)

Is there anyway to get acces to the raid through a software raid or something?

The MOBO has four SATA raid ports (this is where they are now) and four regular SATA ports.
It is an ASUS but (now that I'm home) I can't remember the exact model.

Any response even a no idea post will help. (e.g. if no-one has a clue I'll tell my dad to reformat the drives and that the data is crapped - it's important but not worth 2k$ to get back)

Last edited:
You can try this softwareto find the data you need to retrieve and put it on a spare drive. You can then try to recreate the RAID and diagnose bad drives from potential failures there or run some manufacturer diagnostics on each drive separately first. Good luck.

Back