• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Breaking back out the 965 for some bench runs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCMusicJunkie

Well I've got beat down badly enough by the heat on the FX that i'm giving it a weekend off. Swapping one of my 965's into the bench rig and enjoying the technical tweaking instead of the "oh man it'll post @8ghz if I can just keep it from melting!":p

I was pretty green back when I last spent any serious time with the Phenom, so hopefully some new personal bets for Boints. I realized tonight that in the shorter benches, it actually will stay under the heat ceiling with stupidly high voltage. Just wanted to know if anyone has a rough idea what the "kill zone" is I should stay out of for vcore and nb/cpu voltage even if not overheating?

I have run mine about where I run my fx processors and I run it right to the heatwall and it's a happy little clam.

Thanks MD.:D

Comparing that run to my old personal best screenshot, one thing is very clear: I've become far less scared of voltage than I used to be when I joined the forums here. :eek::clap:

Thanks MD.:D

Comparing that run to my old personal best screenshot, one thing is very clear: I've become far less scared of voltage than I used to be when I joined the forums here. :eek::clap:
Finally! I in the same boat as you, I was definitely green when I was making my runs on the 955. I'm going to break that thing back out and see if I can pull off some good scores. I actually have an extra 955 lying around that I may really put the screws to just to see how much it can take on AIR. It may be added to the bone pile soon. :D

Oh man I've gotta hear what you have to say when you're back in my shoes running on air instead of your H20 setup. I think that I'd just yank the 8350 for a day or two and run the 955 in there. I was about to say I'm just glad I have the 965 so you aren't going to be gunning for any of my scores, but then I remembered you're still only one slot behind me in the HWBot rankings now either way. :chair:

Oh man I've gotta hear what you have to say when you're back in my shoes running on air instead of your H20 setup. I think that I'd just yank the 8350 for a day or two and run the 955 in there. I was about to say I'm just glad I have the 965 so you aren't going to be gunning for any of my scores, but then I remembered you're still only one slot behind me in the HWBot rankings now either way. :chair:

Well only my 8350 is on H2O. I have an Athlon II 6000 on CM 212+, 2500k with a Prolimatech Megahalems and the 955be with a Thermalright Extreme 120. I've been playing with the 2500k lately, but it seems as if it's max OC so far is 5300. I can't even get it to post 1 mhz higher.

When did you end up with a 2500k anyway?! I assume it was recently because you've been doing something to shoot up the rankings every time I look at them!

A little surprised you have an Intel chip after all the AMD stuff you run. I'd like to give the other side a shot, but I know I'd never be happy unless I went all-in for whatever their flagship is at that time, and that would obviously be taking the cost of this hobby to a whole new pricepoint. eesh...

I'd like to give the other side a shot, but I know I'd never be happy unless I went all-in for whatever their flagship is at that time, and that would obviously be taking the cost of this hobby to a whole new pricepoint. eesh...

I've had the same thoughts and almost took the bait a couple times but I have to finish what I've started with the 8350 first. I wanna see what I can do with it with more cooling. :attn:

When did you end up with a 2500k anyway?! I assume it was recently because you've been doing something to shoot up the rankings every time I look at them!

A little surprised you have an Intel chip after all the AMD stuff you run. I'd like to give the other side a shot, but I know I'd never be happy unless I went all-in for whatever their flagship is at that time, and that would obviously be taking the cost of this hobby to a whole new pricepoint. eesh...
I've actually had the 2500k for about 2 years. It's my work computer, though I haven't been treating it as such lately. Honestly, i find it a bit boring to overclock, there is non of the drama you get from really trying to push the Fx. To get it to 5.3 all I did was keep upping the Cpu V and that's it. From what I can tell, it has a hard wall at those clocks. 5.3 it will bench all day at 1.48 v no drama no crashes etc. 1 mhz above that and it won't even post or if it does it will BSOD at the windows splash screen no matter what Cpu V I have it at. It's definitely not heat related so I don't think that even if I went sub ambient it would make any difference.

I just ran 14.9 on superpi 1m @4.4.
Even these later 965's get a bit unstable when the vcore gets to 1.62 or the package temp reaches 53c, I guess it's because it's just a 955 that comes clocked a little higher.
Looks like the high clocks will have to wait for winter to return so I can get after our freind on the west coast's score.

Last edited:
Thanks Mandrake, I had to put it in the chv system to keep it cool enough.
superpi 1m makes little heat but as soon as it starts to warm a little it falls off.

Back