• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Browsing Issues. Beware: Wall of Text

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Newwarfare

Registered
Hello OC community! I have been having quite some troubles while browsing the internet lately, although this problem has been intermittent it seems to be getting worse.

Usually when I'm surfing the web Firefox becomes SUPER slow when loading web pages and can sometimes take up to 2 minutes to load a web page like Google. Like I said this problem persists for a couple of hours then suddenly gets better but its completely random.

It doesn't just go super slow at peak hours when the isp's throttle, this happens no matter what time, be it morning, afternoon, lunch, 3am its completely random. I have done a ton of research about my problem but so far I haven't found any fixes. Ive tried every well know browser (chrome,Firefox,IE) but the same results with all of them.

Steps I have taken to try and resolve the problem:
I unblocked the ports that portforward.com says firefox uses (port 80) I have all but the essential add-ons disabled (essential being; default firefox plugin and shockwave flash) I have tried with both windows firewall and avast firewall disabled.... still the same result. I have even gone as far as re-installing windows. (was due for a fresh start anyways).

I play WoW and other FPS's and I rarely have connections problems. I usually have around 100-200ms in games without any disconnects. Strangely enough I still have browsing problems whilst having a very smooth connection in games.

I share the connection with two other people in my house and none of them have this problem, even torrents go smoothly..

I have one suspicion though, I use a "latency fix" for world of warcraft. Called "Leatrix Latency Fix" It is supposed to increase the frequency of TCP acknowledgments sent to the game server. this is a script which will modify TCPAckFrequency. Almost everyone I know uses this and no one has the same problem as I do.

We use a server at home for file sharing and what not. Not sure if that has any impact.

I'm very sorry for the wall of text I just wanted to try and be as clear as possible. As usual I will be monitoring this thread as often as possible to respond to questions. I have had this problem for all too long now and I'm becoming desperate. Thanks in advance for all and any help on this matter. Your help will not go unappreciated. :salute:

Please don't cross-post the same topic in multiple forums. I deleted the identical thread you started in the General Hardware forum. In the future if you'd like a thread moved to a different forum, just PM a mod and ask to have it moved. Thanks... redduc900

The Leatrix fix is not the cause of this problem. I've been running it on my main computer (I also play WoW) and have not had issues. I've suggested this to upwards of a hundred people and have not had them report it either. You also should not forward ports for Firefox, it does not require any to function.

I would start by isolating portions of the network. Plug your computer directly into your modem (if you have one) to see if the problems persist. If it does have an issue, it is either the modem, your computer or what you used to connect the two. If it does not have an issue, slowly add portions of the network (or computers) until you hit the same issue.

The quickest test you can do is to completely power down all the computers except for yours to see if the issue still exists. If it goes away, there is a high chance that one of the other computers is causing the issue. Depending on the router and ISP settings, torrents may have a large impact to new connections. Make sure to set connection and speed limits. They are two completely different settings and both can hurt your connection if setup incorrectly.

I forgot to mention something, I have been getting a firefox error message sometimes instead of adds on the side of the screen saying connection reset. Dont know if that helps or means anything..

It sounds like an application issue to me. I'd suggest that you open up IE while FF is running slow to see whether the issue is only isolated to FF.

Also too, forwarding port 80 to your computer accomplishes nothing in improving your browsing experience. You would only forward port 80 if you are hosting a web site behind your router. Forwarding port 80 to your system will actually make it more vulnerable to potential attacks.

There was a problem in the router settings. I have fixed this, thanks for the suggestions guys! much appreciated.

Back