• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Build Journal]: Noname [56k Beware!]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Alright. The only psu cables that I do use are actually sleeved. There's actually one cable with molexes that I use for the fans and lights, but that can be hidden easily.

Update! More Pics...

Asus and Intel Case Badges
buildjournal23.gif

Front of case while on
buildjournal24.gif

Door open while on
buildjournal22.gif

Inside while on
buildjournal21.gif

I finally got the raptor back yesterday. Hooked it up, installed windows, drivers, cpuz, and all the asus utilities. Everything was working wonderfully! And then the problems started happening: Mobo powers down on restart (I think this may have contributed to the death of raptor #1); HT is enabled, but cpu-z and task manager only report one processor. I called up Asus tech support and someone is supposed to call me back. I did manage to get up to 280.5x14 = 3927 stable at 1.35 vcore running prime for 2 hours. At least I think its at 1.35...Bios is set to 1.35, Cpu-z reports 1.59, and Asus Probe reports 1.35. I'm guessing 1.35. I'm gettin 31 idle and 44 load. I'm thinking the problems I'm having are a bios problem. I'm gonna downgrade the bios (the new one just supports 6xx cpus, so its not needed for me) and see if that helps. The problem with that is the utility refuses to downgrade the bios, so I need to use their dos utility and I have no floppy disks! So I'm waiting on that. Wish me luck!

Verymanynames said:
Why dont you switch the PSU fan to a blue one?
I thought about that. It would entail opening up the psu, and since I've been using it, I'd have to let it sit so there's no juice left in it. Then I realized that this psu has some "smart fan" variable fan speed technology, so the fan I get would have to work with that. It wouldn't be that difficult to find one, but I'm very lazy. On top of all of that, it would void my warranty, and I'd rather get a free replacement and still have a green fan.

Finished talking to the guys over at Asus and it turns out that my mobo is shot. So I'm gonna RMA that as soon as I can. Man this sucks :(

Update for the loyal followers of this tiring build!
I shipped my mobo on 3/26. Asus said it would be shipped back 10 days from when they get it. It's been a lot more. I checked deliver confirmation, and I get the amazing news! They attempted delivery, but no one was there to sign for it because it was Saturday! So it's been sitting in the post office for a week! They were gonna ship it back to me in two weeks, but after a call, they're redelivering it to Asus. It's been one month since the beginning of the build and I still don't have a working machine :(

The case is awesome. I would definitely recommend it. The only problem I had is that when empty, the case is front-heavy because of the metal front door. That's not really an issue because your case will be full. Airflow is also awesome: my cpu fan is right in front of the honeycomb panel, so it draws in fresh air!

kayson, congrats with your new rig! Sorry to hear about your HW problems, but I hope you have everything up and running by now.

Sorry if I revived an outdated thread or something, but I just wanted to congratulate you. I searched the board for "shark", as I'm also thinking of buying this case (although in black), and found this thread. But I guess I'm very early in my descision process and I may change my mind completely. :)

I couldn't think of a name for this rig, so I left it as Noname! I'm not very creative with these kinds of things. I couldn't come up with anything good :(
My suggestions for a name on your new rig are... (from the top of my head):

The Great White (shark)
The Silver Surfer (as the cartoon character)
The White Lightning

Antarctica Blizzard
White Cruncher
Snow Storm

If you didn't like any of these, I'd suggest a name with theme combinations of white, cool, shark, big, tough, fast, powerful, smart, slick, freezing, cold, weather, arctic, polar bears, etc. You may also look up some names of norse gods - especially those who have been out a winternight before... It's not so hard to find a name, once you sit down and think about it. Good luck! :)

Last edited:
Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!

This case is awesome. I'd definitely recommend it. My system is up and running now.
14x286=4004mhz @ 1.500 vcore. The mobo has a bad droop problem and that's really restricting my OC. I bumped the fsb up to 290, and it wasn't stable under load. I don't want to raise the vcore any more, and 4 ghz is great for a first oc (yeah I only made a 400 mhz OC, but the end result is all I care about)

kayson said:
I thought about that. It would entail opening up the psu, and since I've been using it, I'd have to let it sit so there's no juice left in it. Then I realized that this psu has some "smart fan" variable fan speed technology, so the fan I get would have to work with that. It wouldn't be that difficult to find one, but I'm very lazy. On top of all of that, it would void my warranty, and I'd rather get a free replacement and still have a green fan.

You don't have to wait for it to lose all its juice. I've opened my fortron 530w seconds after removing it from my case.

Pull the plug, and hit the power button around 5-10 times. remove the PSU, then turn it on (still unplugged), and then short the green pin to a ground. It will drain the psu in 5 minutes, max (If you have a voltmeter, check the rails until each shows 0.00v)

Very nice job. I cant wait until i start my build. You should get a Delta triple blade fan for the xp-120. That would look sweet. :cool:

Back