• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building new system and looking for thoughts on peltiers.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

Ok Guys in all honesty are they good? Should I try one? I would like to overclock the heck out of my duall 2000+ XP's if possible. There are some things that I would like to know about petliers. I know I seem new at this and your right... I am. I'm pretty good with water cooling and such so I thought I might try this. First things first I have some questions. If you think you have a site with all these answers just let me know. Most the comments in the peltier section at overclockers are very old and might not address new issues. So here I go..

1. Is there such a thing as too big a peltier? I'm looking at the one at dangerden right now. 226watts I believe. Can the thing get too cold if not enough heat is on it?

2. I have the general idea that peltiers have a big condensation problem. What are some good ways to go about fixing that? I'm on a dual watercooled system here.

3. How do I calculate how much wattage my computer chips are putting out and how much wattage they will put out once they are cranked up?

4. As far as powersupplies go what should I look for? As we all know volts x Amps = watts. So does the 226 watt peltier require that much to operate sucessfully? Could I find some powersupply that has low voltage but high ampsd or vice versa?

5. Since I have two processors I would obviously need two peltiers... Would I need two power supplies?

6. What about the water cooling the other side? How hot does the other side get when she's running? Will the otherside produce more heat than the top of an overclocked athlon?

7. Anything I should know about building a system using them? I've noticed that most the articles at overclockers are old. Did everyone find something out about them and drop them?

8. How high could I expect to overclock my two boys if they are XP 2000+'s?

9. What size peltier would be best for me?

10. Can you recommend a power supply?

11. Have you had any bad expierences with them that would give me tips on what to do?

12. I live in central Texas. Get's nice and in the 100's in the summer and below freezing in winters. Should that effect the condensation?

13. Because of condensation buildup I know you guys have found ways to get around that. However I haven't exactly heard of how. Since there can only be so much buildup and it can only be retained so much. Is there a limit as to how long you can generally run your computer before you have to shut her down? My computer generally runs all day every day.

Thanks for the help..
Duck

welcome to the forums!

I assume you're watercooling your rig currently? I can answer a couple of your questions, but not all of them.

1. I don't think you could have too big a pelt, you would just need to vary the voltage/current to change how cold it actually got.

2. Condensation is a problem if you go below room temp. Most people deal with it by sealing the socket and surroundings.
look here

3. Look for a program called radiate II. It should let you choose your proc, current speed and voltage, and it will calculate everything for you.

5. You shouldn't need 2 psu's. You'd just need to get a big enough one to power both.

6. The hot side will get VERY hot. You need to be able to take all of the heat from the pelt and the proc and get rid of it.

12. The thing that effects condensation is the humidity and dew point I believe. those will determine what happens during different times of the year.

13. As long as you seal it up right, you should be able to leave your computer running 24/7 without a problem.

hope this helps.

edit:check out this thread

Back