• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

burning question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

attitudx

Xtreme refugee
I have about o 100 to 150 cassettes. I want to burn them to cd. I know you can put audio in and play thru your computer via a boom box home system and so forth. I have soundforge to copy them but will i have to convert them to mp3's when done? I think I know how but if not let me know, any tips tricks something of that nature

Depending on the quality of the tape, you'll be best off using VBR (variable bitrate) 'cause analog/tape sources require a lot of bitrate in converison as the panning of the tape rolling unevenly over the tape head causes the mp3 codec a lot of grief.

Look for a program called Razorlame, that's what I use. Soundforge will make MP3s for you, but not VBR (last I checked). You'd have to set the bitrate to 256kbps just to keep the flanging to a minimum, and this will create really large mp3 files. VBR will reduce the bitrate when it's not needed (quieter passages) and raise it when needed (louder passages, reduces the flanging).

BTW, once you have wave files created of your tapes, it's best to just burn them to cd (no compression) rather than converting/compressing them to mp3 only to be converted/decompressed back to waves when put on the cd... unless you're making MP3 cds (with several albums on them), you really don't need to even bother with MP3.

Cool thanks I will check it out and try it. I just miss that music LOL and some i havent been able to find

Back