• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bye Bye Northies and 478

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
uhh, am i missing something? looks like they are discontinuing 2.4c, 2.6c and 3.06b's.

and some crap mobile celerons...

hUMANbEATbOX said:
uhh, am i missing something? looks like they are discontinuing 2.4c, 2.6c and 3.06b's.

and some crap mobile celerons...
Well in al reality ask yourself how much sense it makes to pick out a few CPU's and say they are toast because THEY as individual models don't meet the demand of consumers, this is only the beginning of a string of discontinuations. For example the 3.06 is merely .14GHz off of what will most likley be considered higher performance (3.2 Prescott), it was not chosen due to its speed, but rather is core and form-factor. It's only logical to conclude Intel's Product Change Notification chart will be updated multiple times between now and the end of the month. This may be a bit presumptuous, however its a long time coming for Northwood CPU's, and Pin Grid Array 478 all-together

Lame, I wanted to get some more life from this socket too.

This has to be Intels BEST socket ever, 370 was close but 478 takes the cake with advancement in technology and OC ability.

Making way for newer platforms I suppose.

Shame, 478 northwood seem to be the best socket imo.

i noticed alot of retailers have stopped stocking the P4c's.glad i got one when i did(last week) should do me till all the new stuff becomes mainstream(PCIxpress etc) and all these different new sockets settle down. hopefully by then 64bit processors should be the norm(cant wait to see a 64bit pentium)

they're getting rid of the good overclockers because they aren't getting paid the money of a 3+ghz cpu when they know people are buying the 2.4s and 2.6s for cheaper.

well think of all the stock out there - then think of all the people who sell their used stuff to get new - no worries the 2.4c and such will be around for a good few years to come - just may have to look harder for them :D

This bites.

The 478 was such a sweet CPU. I have many of them.

My first a, classic 1.6a Northwood that I got in early 2002 of January that is still running at 2.53Ghz

My second, a legendary 2.4b at 3.06ghz

and my final third charmer, my 2.4C at 3.5Ghz.

Man such good chips!!

I may be forced to go AMD 64 if Intel does not resolve its heat, price and packaging issues.

You can only re-insert the LGA 775 CPU's for up to 12 times?

Man!! This sucks.

Judging by how low A64 cpu's are getting, I may get one of those come Christmas time :X

well I meant they're not getting rid of the 478 anytime soon, but they will eventually once the new platforms get up.

Mr.Guvernment said:
well think of all the stock out there - then think of all the people who sell their used stuff to get new - no worries the 2.4c and such will be around for a good few years to come - just may have to look harder for them :D

That is exactly why I kept one of my 2.4C SL6Z3 M0 beauties.. waiting for DDR600 and new that these would become hard to find once Intel moved on.

Back