• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can dualies be overclocked as easily as single-procs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Its all in the proc, I have a abit vp6 with dual p3 700's Ive had 2 kinds of stepping in dual the Cbo and Cco I can go up to 1 gig each proc with the cco but the cbo wont even get close

1) IN GENERAL OCing dualies does not work as well / as far as single boards. Its a chipset thing. MOST dual boards do not have vcore, ram voltage, cpu multi, and FSB multis as the single boards do. ALSO, even when you find a good dual board that OCs, it won't go as far as a single. For example, the MSIK7D (I have one) only goes to 150 FSB, so you won't get the memory bandwidth you'd get with say an abit kx7333 running at 210 FSB.

Of course, you in say the MSI you could up the multi, and so have a high multi with an FSB of 150, but this won't run as fast as a lower multi and higher FSB you could have on a single system.

BUT, IMHO, dual OCing to 150FSB is not too bad. :)

2) I do not know how big the SK7 is.
A) There are "holes" in the the MSIk7D for a HSF or waterblock
B) I have two thermaltech volcano 9's on my board, they LOOK big :) but I don't know how they compare to the SK7.

The Millennium Glaciator (I and II) will fit...I'm running that now. ;)

The MSI is a great board, IMHO. I'm glad I let people talk me into getting one...:D

B.

Generally, OC'ing duals is harder because of aforementioned lack of OC tweaks, not to mention that if you try to overclock two processors simultaneously, they'll only overclock as far as the speed of the chip that will OC the least. so if you have 2 XP1600's (seems to be a popular setup) and 1 overclocks to 2 GHz and the other to 1.8 GHz, 1.8 GHz will be all you'd ever be able to hope for out of those chips.

I've got two mildly overclocked Durons on my K7D Master - my brother has a 1.2 Duron of the exact same stepping that does 1450 in his setup (KR7A-133) but my Durons will only do 1320. I think my issue is a lack of RAM voltage tweaks. It doesn't like AGP 4x at this bus speed (110 FSB) but AGP 4x with 105 FSB is slower. I'm pretty sure it's just the RAM because core voltage is only at 1.8 and boosting the vcore won't get my CPU's any higher.

sb

My system that is also based on K7D will work at any fsb setting except 150M mhz, but I cannot get it to run stable at any setting other than default. :(
I am using cpus with different stepping, Im not so sure if thats a good idea.

My experience with the MSI K7D Master has been phenominal! I love the way it overclocks and has been my favorite motherboard of all time since I got my first one and overclocked dual XP1600's to 1800 MHz! It's been running rock-solid ever since and is the fastest rig I have ever had. It blew away my single P4 @ 2.4 rig w/ RDRAM, so I traded that sucker for another K7D!

Duals aren't hard to overclock.They just don't OC very much yet.
They faster XPs and MPs have limitedOC anyway. Hopefully the 2400s up will help that.
With 2 procs I don't feel the need to OC much. The power is already there. But it is still fun.

It's as easy to OC my dual XP1600's as it is my XP1800 on my 8k3a...and the funny thing is the 1600's go higher! (er did...lost my 12.5 multiplier due to bad unlocking...but i'll fix it eventualy).

Yeah, the K7D rocks for dual overclocking. I'm not sure why you have those problems Henry but it might be the older stepping of the two CPUs doing it.

I can hit 150FSB on my K7D no problem using 1.3 Durons, although I have it lower and overclock using the multiplier because it's a Folding@Home client so FSB doesn't matter for that single task.

As most have said, overclocking on a dual is easy. It all depends on the chip(s) and/or memory.

I currently have my system at 150FSB w/no problems and it is COMPLETELY STABLE (watercooling does help :)).

My dual system is actually more stable overclocked than my tbird system. My t-bird system crashes in Prime95 after about 2 seconds if I even attempt to overclock it, while my dually runs completely stable for hours on end in Prime95.

My dual 166 won't go past 180, when I use both cpu in single mode, they will do 200. Go figure.

Ditto all of the above. It all depends on the combination of components.

Back