• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TwiztedUnique

I have the AMD FX 8370. I want to overclock, I currently have the asus m5a99fx mobo. Idle Temps 10c and load of 30-31c could I overclock and if so how and how high supposedly?

Welcome TwiztedUnique, you can start off by reading this guide. We will also need more information on your system before you proceed. What are you cooling the Cpu with, what ram, case and how many fans? I will revisit this thread in the morning.

Put a fan on the VRMs.

Use push pull fan configuration on that heat sink.

2 case fans doesn't sound like it has a lot of case flow.

And to get started with help, You want to open Cpu-z and each time with a different cpu-z tab displaying Cpu memory and SPD info at the very least.

You can Use Hardware Monitor for temps.

We really need to see as outlined below...

...also few tips on initial setup of windows power manager and bios settings.

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APM, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. ALSO if you have HPC in bios you would ENABLE it. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

RGone...

So far...

...looks pretty good volts and temps wise if HWMonitor is showing what it logged when running P95Blend for at least 20 mins. Looks like you have room to get to probably 4.6Ghz fairly effectively. After that? Well trial and error.

1. Get the FREE version of HWMonitor instead of the trial version of PRO. Won't be Trial over some read out. I see some with Trial over three or four items and maybe the longer you "trial" it the more get Trialed out.

2. Not sure why people always seem beginning and yet are using the FSB aKa HT Ref Freq. I never use the FSB until I use the multiplier to get way on up close to where I can get to. Using the multiplier to overclock keeps the 3 other speed sensitive busses in place and not moving up when moving the FSB up to raise cpu speed.

I mean you are at 4.3Ghz-ish and the dang ram is not running at nearly the DDR3-1600 your CPUz SPD tab shows as possible ram speed. If you had say a 22.5 multiplier times 200 equals 4.5Ghz you could have the ram set to DDR3-1600 with the timings from CPUz SPD Tab and set HT Link Speed to dead on 2400Mhz and same for CPU_NB and would not have to worry about those being a real issue if you upped the multiplier to 23 times 200 for 4.6Ghz.

I never (98%) of the time mess with FSB until I get most of the 24/7 speed I can get to and then I can juggle that speed by adding a few Mhz to the FSB to get that little extra without having to add Vcore many times. OR I use the FSB to overclock my ram but only after I know the cpu is stable at X speed and then I lower the cpu multiplier and raise the FSB to clock up the ram and lowering the mutliplier to the HT Link Speed and CPU_NB speed to keep them inside their stable range. Just seems way easier to me to clock with multiplier and when find max cpu speed that will work stable 24/7, then tweak it around with FSB if I have a specific need. YMMV.

RGone...ster.

2. Not sure why people always seem beginning and yet are using the FSB aKa HT Ref Freq. I never use the FSB until I use the multiplier to get way on up close to where I can get to. Using the multiplier to overclock keeps the 3 other speed sensitive busses in place and not moving up when moving the FSB up to raise cpu speed.
For some reason my M5A99X Evo board sets the Fsb on all my Fx chips to 216 when I swap chips around. I bet the op didn't know it was even set there.

For some reason my M5A99X Evo board sets the Fsb on all my Fx chips to 216 when I swap chips around. I bet the op didn't know it was even set there.

You are kidding, right? I have to spank its little FSB auto setting fingers then. That sounds like some kinda "genie" shett. Hehehe. But 16 whole FSB is a ton man.

RGone...sterskizzzzzzzzz

No I'm not kidding, every time I swap a Fx chip in my M5A99X board it sets it to 216, I probably need to flash the BIOS but I don't worry about it much. I don't use the board for the Fx's any more and I know to just set the Fsb to 200 manually anyway.

Noticed that the cpuz shot show 16GB in single channel. Might want to move one of those sticks over a slot ;)

Back