• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on Single CCD Overclock for 5900X CPU: Lower DPC Latency without Sacrificing Stability?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ooplyy

I recently experimented with disabling one CCD on my AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU to reduce DPC (Deferred Procedure Call) latency for competitive gaming. While the DPC latency significantly improved, I encountered some issues with unstable FPS and game stuttering. Before I go any further, here are the details of my setup:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • Cooling: Corsair's h150i liquid cooler
  • DPC Latency improvement after disabling one CCD: Great
  • FPS Stability: Not ideal, stuttering observed
  • CPU Usage: Remained at 100% consistently (usually around 30%)
  • Thermals: Improved by around 30%

I'm determined to optimize my system for gaming and willing to learn more about overclocking, but I'm a newbie in this area. I'm seeking advice from the more experienced members of this community on how to approach a single CCD overclock properly. My goal is to maintain lower DPC latency while ensuring stable FPS and smooth gameplay.

Here are some specific questions I have:

1. How can I balance performance and stability when overclocking a single CCD?
2. Are there specific settings or configurations that I should be aware of when working with single CCD overclocks?
3. Could there be any potential risks associated with this kind of overclocking, and how can I mitigate them?

As I mentioned earlier, I'm resourceful and willing to learn. If you could share some tips, guides, or best practices on how to approach this single CCD overclock, I'd greatly appreciate it. Additionally, if you have any personal experiences or success stories with similar setups, please do share them!

Thanks in advance for your help, and I look forward to learning from your expertise!

I just feed mine the most PPT TDC and EDC PBO will allow the CPU to have.. 240/160/190.. set my curve, add +200 and let her rip. She boosts to 5150 on a few cores/threads no problem. No stutters.. Extreme all core load such as linpack runs at 4500MHz, lighter stuff like TM5 I see all cores at ~4800.

I just feed mine the most PPT TDC and EDC PBO will allow the CPU to have.. 240/160/190.. set my curve, add +200 and let her rip. She boosts to 5150 on a few cores/threads no problem. No stutters.. Extreme all core load such as linpack runs at 4500MHz, lighter stuff like TM5 I see all cores at ~4800.
And that's only using one ccd?

Are you simply trying to disable one CCD and then OC the other? Or are you trying to apply an OC to only one CCD for temp/power draw reasons?

Are you simply trying to disable one CCD and then OC the other? Or are you trying to apply an OC to only one CCD for temp/power draw reasons?
I already disabled one ccd and am looking to get as much juice as possible from that one ccd

Ahh, have you tried PBO, curve optimizer and +200 OC as was suggested? Or are you seeking help doing that, or are you specifically looking for a static OC (which will likely outperform the above strategy in fully threaded multi-core workloads but underperform in single core - this seems counter-intuitive if you've already disabled one CCD).

Also you may want to consider other ways to ameliorate your performance hit without disabling the CCD full time, unless you really have no need for more than 6c/12t.

Don't forget that Windows and all the processes/background stuff needs CPU cycles too. That and the game you're playing (what game?) will make a difference. I don't think the ends justify the means in this method unless the titles you're playing leave a core and thread free. TBH, 6c/12t is what many would consider to be a minimum for a gaming system in 2023. Basically, the 6c/12t config isn't enough to run w/e game and Windows things, so your CPU is pegged at 100% thwarting your one CCD efforts.

Also you may want to consider other ways to ameliorate your performance hit without disabling the CCD full time, unless you really have no need for more than 6c/12t.
+1

I understand your quest to reduce DPC... perhaps setting the affinity of the game/.exe to one CCD allowing the other CCD/cores/threads to run background stuff, would be a compromise? I'd imagine it would raise DPC, but since the game is set to one CCD, maybe it's better. Overclocking isn't going to overcome the problem of your CPU being pegged at 100%... having more cores/threads available will.

How are you measuring DPC latency (Latencymon)? How does that benefit gaming? Are you seeing microstutter? Audio pops?

Last edited:
Now I'm definitely experiencing core envy. I wonder if they will drop under $200 or run out of stock first.

Now I'm definitely experiencing core envy. I wonder if they will drop under $200 or run out of stock first.
I only bought my 5900X because I could not buy a GPU during the height of the pandemic. I was home and I was bored, or else my 5600X was way good enough for me :)

But.. it doesn't do 5GHz+ like 5900X does :D

And I tried for over a decade to hit 5GHz prior to that.. saw it in the bios once or twice on Intel but that was it (n)

Back