• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Caned vs. Compressed air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
computer duster is not air, it is a fluronated low weight hyrdocarbon, it is used instead of air because it has no moisture. anytime air is compressed water condenses into a liquid form which gets picked up if the compressor does not have a working water valve, even then there is still moisture in the air, stick with the duster

Unless you can actually feel the mist coming out of the air compressor, the humidity is negligible. Especially considering the air is compressed from the environment, so there should never be more moisture than what's in the air already. Air compressors I find far more effective for removing dust from PCs, especially when you turn the pressure up past 100 PSI (I have a 9 CFM, 9 gallon air compressor) you are easily able to blast away that nasty, sticky moist dust.

secretweapon said:
Just get a shopvac. It has a blowhole so you can just blow air out of the hose instead of sucking in. It works perfectly and the air is already filtered by the vaccum bag.

That's what I do most of the time. Just swap the tube positions on my shop vac so it blows air instead of sucking. If I have access to an air compressor I'll use that though. The shop vac has more CFM, but you can't beat the compressor for dirt knocking pressure.

Ciffer said:
good point but i would still worry about spraying moist air on my comp

Paranoia, really. You'd have to have a nice mist before you get anywhere near able to conduct electricity between circuit traces, especially considering those are insulated anyway (other contacts aren't, no). If you're really that concerned, just wait 20 minutes for anything to evaporate.

Ciffer said:
...anytime air is compressed water condenses into a liquid form which gets picked up if the compressor does not have a working water valve, even then there is still moisture in the air, stick with the duster

Unless it's air for a scuba tank...the filling stations for these tanks have very sophisticated filters which remove every last bit of moisture and all impurities from the air. :cool:

I use compressed air, simply bcoz thats what i can get my hands onto.
We got 1 at work, so i just bring my pc n clean it there.
Instead of going to a hardware store n spend few $ for a can of air.

And as for moist air getting into my pc components,
how close would u stick that airgun to blow the dust neway....
Unless of course those dust r sticky.

Back