• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't power up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fuzzba11

Today I opened up my case to dust the front dust screen on my lian li, and in the process noticed that my CPU fan had fallen off(it was previously secured with electrical tape). My system had been running at ~51C, but it was running alright, so I hadn't thought to open it up.

After screwing the fan on, taping some wires so I could run some case fans at 7V(never invested in a baybus). I put everything back together and hit the start button, and nothing powered on. I checked connections, the power cord, etc, and found that my PSU wouldn't start up manually(using a wire between pins on the ATX connector), so I pulled out an old 250W I had in my closet, which started up fine, manually.

However, once I put it in my case and hooked up my drives and mobo, it still refused to power up using the power button. Neither would it power up by jumpering the power pins on the board! The little green light on my motherboard still isn't lighting up, even though everything is connected. Anyone have any ideas for me to try? The only thing I could think of would be that I shorted the board out somehow, and need to wait a few hours for it to fix itself.

Note: the 400W PSU makes a soft buzzing sound when I try to start it up manually.

If the PSUs won't start manually, they are probably toasted. Can't say for sure, but from your description it sounds as if your mobo may have a short which is damaging your PSUs. Its possible that when the fan fell off it struck the mobo causing some damage. One immediate suggestion I would make, though, is try clearing your CMOS, and also check that you are correctly jumpering the PSUs.

make sure you have your cpu fan hooked up right. some boards don't boot without one and it might not be seeing it.

stool said:
If the PSUs won't start manually, they are probably toasted. Can't say for sure, but from your description it sounds as if your mobo may have a short which is damaging your PSUs. Its possible that when the fan fell off it struck the mobo causing some damage. One immediate suggestion I would make, though, is try clearing your CMOS, and also check that you are correctly jumpering the PSUs.

I plan on opening up that 400W again just to make sure something I had hooked up in there hasn't fallen or anything, but generally I'm considering it's dead. It's also possible I screwed up in hooking up a fan into a molex...kinda doubtful that it would cause all this, though. Definitely properly jumpering, I tested them side by side.

And flyingmember, yeah, I checked that...the fan was plugged in properly, I did add a 60mm fan grill to it, though, that might be blocking it? Will have to double check it.

Pretty much confirmed dead motherboard...I would try flash the BIOS, but I can't even get the system that far. I hotwired the ATX connector so all I have to do is switch on my PSU to get power to the mobo. The fans all spin, but I get no beeps. I threw in my Duron 750 to make sure it wasn't the processor, and got the same results.

Does anyone know if Newegg gives credit for RMAs? I'd rather get an Epox KT333, but I think they have to be out of stock to allow that, right?

Back