• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Card suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deed

I have a dell athlon 3000 or somthing ( cant think of the name atm lol)
2gb ram 10krpm hardrive and an onboard card.

Any suggestions for a budget video card?

With that you won't want to go above a 6800 (Nvidia), if that. A 7900gs pairs up quite nicely with AMD 64X2 4000+ so for a 3000 a 6800 is really the highest you could go without a serious bottleneck.

With that you won't want to go above a 6800 (Nvidia), if that. A 7900gs pairs up quite nicely with AMD 64X2 4000+ so for a 3000 a 6800 is really the highest you could go without a serious bottleneck.

Well I have a single core p4 atm that doesnt bottleneck my 8600 hehe So I thought I could go higher. I like running my resolutions above 1440x900

What's the P4 running at? If it's at 2.2Ghz+ and the app your using isn't dual core enabled then no it won't bottleneck a 8600 =)
The AMD 3000+ is only at about 1.4GHz or so. Basically anything will bottleneck it :p

What's the P4 running at? If it's at 2.2Ghz+ and the app your using isn't dual core enabled then no it won't bottleneck a 8600 =)
The AMD 3000+ is only at about 1.4GHz or so. Basically anything will bottleneck it :p

Mine came stock at 2.4ghz lol?

But Yeah I am afraid if it bottlenecking and theres already a 6150le in it. How much of a performanec gain would a 6800 show in say half life 2?

I'm not actually sure I'm afraid. I can tell you that going from an FX5700 (I think) to a 7900gs was quite a big jump. I'm assuming it will be a similar jump here. You should be able to run the game med-high at 30fps. If you want to play games I would strongly recommend a new computer. For something that can play episode 2 maxed out at a nice 60fps your looking at about 400 GBP.

If your in England then http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-192-OK
Friend just brought one as a backup PC. Can play crysis on high graphics (no AA or AF but it still looks pretty damn nice)

I'm not actually sure I'm afraid. I can tell you that going from an FX5700 (I think) to a 7900gs was quite a big jump. I'm assuming it will be a similar jump here. You should be able to run the game med-high at 30fps. If you want to play games I would strongly recommend a new computer. For something that can play episode 2 maxed out at a nice 60fps your looking at about 400 GBP.

If your in England then http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-192-OK
Friend just brought one as a backup PC. Can play crysis on high graphics (no AA or AF but it still looks pretty damn nice)

Thanks, I have a new i7 system and a 955 but I have trouble letting other systems go lol. I May turn it into a backup system depending on how well I can get the graphics up since its capable of 6 hds and has a raid card. All my systems seem to die at the same time also so I have to stockpile ram and hds.

Back