• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

censorship?!!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
TollPhree said:
OF corse you cant wacht ur kid 24/7 but its not hard to ask your kid whats going on , and isntall some simple programs to wacht what there doing on computer.

no, they can't watch their kids 24/7... so maybe when they can't we need to watch them :rolleyes:. but that's when a responsible person asks him or herself, "is having 2 cars and a big house really worth it?"... and if the top priority in your life is keeping your way of life, you ####ing shouldn't have kids in the first place. but it's ok, you can just go the day care route, or get a babysitter... the government (local/state/ or federal) will help you through the introduction of new laws instead of doing something about some of the more serious issues we face. and in the end every one else pays for this.

Last edited:
I think this quote from the article sums it up...

"It's not only unnecessary and unconstitutional, but it clearly won't solve the issue at which it's apparently aimed."

I have loved video games since I was old enough to hold a controller. In the video game world I enjoy violence... in real life I would never think about it, in fact I don't have a violent bone in my body.

There is a difference between a game and reality, and if you can't tell the difference... your parents have failed to teach you right from wrong... or perhaps you need counseling.

Either way legislation like this is not the answer. If you ask me, I blame Oregon... we're just too close and we're getting infected by the Oregon Syndrome... pretty soon we won't be able to pump our own gas!

grunjee ................ not everyone can see violence and come out unscathed . Many people are affected on some level and a significant number to a geat degree . I just don't see what is so difficult for some people to swallow considering that this is no different to what is done with movies and magazines for example .

You may think that parents should do their jobs ............. I agree . But too many don't do it , who will protect their children ? Who will protect you , me and our families from their children ?

This made me think of a funny story in The Onion, Teen Exposed To Violence, Profanity, Adult Situations By Family.

theonion.com/onion3643/teen_exposed_to_violence.html

There are some naughty words, so I can't link to it directly.
violence_jump.gif

It is not the fault of video games, movies or music. It is the fault of parents not teaching their children what happens in the real world, and the fault of kids who are just crazy.

I don't know anyone who has commited a violent act because they've seen it on TV or heard it in some song. My Dad and I watched terminator 1 and 2 together, when they came out in their respective times, but I'm not out there pretending to be T800... Yeah, most of us have gone through that stage in our lives when we all thought criminals were the coolest ever and that cops sucked, but hey, we knew right from wrong because our parents gave us morals and we weren't stupid. We knew that killing was bad, robbing was bad, etc. but the parenting skill of most is lacking quite a bit as of late.

Parents are getting younger and younger and have no idea what the hell is going on. I don't think the law should be enforced on video games. The law should be enforced on parents and their kids.

I think this "stricter" regulation of video games is good for the public however since the parents can't do their jobs. They're not complaining about the content of games anymore, just who they're selling it to. Good for Washington.

When GTA3 came out I :rolleyes: worked at Walmart in electronics. I had plenty of middle-school kids trying to buy it on their own, promising to retrieve their parents, never to be seen again. I also had a lot of kids lying to their parents about the content. (Its just racing and you can get hurt in your car, things like that) But, I had more parents who shrugged off warnings about the game. The majority of parents, who were buying this game for their kids, didn't care what was in it. The most insulting case, a father with his 9-11 year old son. Another associate was "explaining" the ratting to him. He just shrugged and said "I let him rent it last night, I dont care what he does". On a semi-related note, I've had plenty of 18yo's buying things and handing them to >18 yos. Nothing we can do about it.

Its a good idea, but it doesn't work. Carding people buying cigarettes and alcohol doesn't work, why would this?

I live in WA but since Im 19 I could care less.
Plus the employees of software etc see me in there enough that they never card me anymore :p

I think law enforcement should enforce the rating system but not fine ppl for items that are NOT rated. I have a 10-year-old boy who loves games and I have to check them all out before he can play them because some of them are just downright not proper for a 10 year old, lol. Like GTA3: D

Back