• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clocking my AMD Phenom II x3 720 Processor Black Editon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blizzwiz

Hello everyone!

I decided to join this overclocking Community because i started to feel that I wanted some more power out of my machine.

What i seek help with is the best configuration for my AMD Phenom II x3 720 Processor Black Editon. I have tried to unlock the fourth core in the computer without any luck using the BIOS, I will provide pics of my BIOS, settings and Everything ive done so far.

The clocking I have manged to do is to get the CPU from 2,80ghz to 3,21 GHz and I think thats a good result but I am wondering if I can get out more of my machine. I dont have issues with cooling as I have a really good fan and the tempure doesnt spike very high.

If you guys could give me some suggestions on what settings to change and try, I would be happy to recieve them.

I wish I could be able to do this on my own but after failed attempts and a reinstall of my Windows, I decided to ask you guys what you think :)

Lastely my Motherboard is: ASUSTEK M4A79 Deluxe Version 4101

Last edited:
Blizzwiz, Welcome to the forum, unfortunately sometimes with Cpu's that can be unlocked the reason why the cores are locked is because they're not viable and will just not work with any stability. That said be a bit more specific with you specifications on the Pc. Case and how many fans installed, psu brand and output, what Cpu cooler, Gpu etc. It helps to know what exactly we are working with. Your best bet is to read this guide, it is arguably one of the best Phenom overclocking guides out there. When you finish reading it, set your cpu back to default. Then disable "cool and quiet" and C1e. Download HWmonitor, Prime 95 and Cpu-Z, open HWmonitor and run prime blend for 20 minutes. Then post back screen shots of Hwmonitor and the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and Memory using the in forum SS hosting tool. This will give us a better idea of what is going on under the hood so to speak and see how much overclocking head room you have temperature wise.

Typically the Heka core chips normally top out around the 3.8 mark, some going higher and some coming up short.

The reason being these are first gen Phenom II chips with the C2 stepping, the newer C3 steppings used with Callisto CPU's for example allows for more speed from both the chip and RAM used in the system.
I'd try 1.40v's to see how high it can go at first, if on water or better you can go higher with the voltage but still use 1.40v's as a starting point to learn what your chip likes and dislikes.

Back