• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Common knowledge is untrue!! Panaflo 120mm fans are NOT the best!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well now you have me second guessing myself...I only have one 120m/m Pansonic Panflo at the moment.

Link

So off to Directron to buy another one of the Evercools and three of the Vantec UV sleeving kits.

I will get back with side by side...Blow by blow results this evening...Have a Enermax, Antec and a couple of other 120's

I will give them all a run for their money and get back with the details...:p

Last edited:
Silversinksam said:
IMHO you cannot beat Sanyo Denki or Papst for durability, and performance, I wont say for quiet performance because there are dozens upon dozens of Sizes of Sanyo Denkis with a range of dBa levels,but most are extremely quiet, if Sanyo Denki is good enough for Intels stock heatsinks that should say something as to their reliability.

ah... there's the kicker :D

I am, unfortunately, one of those poor fellas that wants fans with EXTREME cooling performance and EXTREME silence when either are needed... makes it hard to lean either way, y'know (either to the noise+cooling or quietness+weak CFM side - I can't say which one is the darker side):D

so I suppose my priorities in a fan are as such:
1,2) Cooling + Quietness, at different voltages (and I want both equally)

3) Reliability - I don't expect my fans to last super long... so it's really not a big priority...

While "bling-bling" usually isn't a factor when I look at fans (LEDs? yuck!), I have submitted to the fact that these aluminum fans look GREAT to me... they reek of... style! :D very James Bondish!!!

so... I really want to know how these Denkis stack up to the panaflo/evercool aluminums in both cooling AND silent performance (voltage being variable)... can you hook me up w/ the info, sam?

(And I meant no disrespect to your saintly reputation in the fan world by not addressing you accordingly... please take no offense! (it was late at night, i swear :D)) ;)

Silversinksam said:
As far as Evercools go they are a fad and they are not time tested and proven in terms of durabilty.

About that durability thing :). I had a 120mm evercool over six months ago (saw it at CompUSA, thought it was neat), and I don't have it today for one reason - I looked at it wrong, and the blades fell off.......well no, I blindly stuck my finger in it, and that took care of two of them. I snapped one off the opposing side for slight balance, and used it that way until I replaced it with a bigass NMB.

So my overall impression: They are VERY quiet, and actually produce decent airflow, but they break like glass with the strength of paper.

In contrast - I could repeatedly jam screwdrivers and knives into my 120mm NMB units (if I wanted to, which I don't since they are nice:)) without anything other than cosmetic damage. The blades are at least 2x the thickness of the evercool's.

I have several reviews including the ones here about many different fans and I find that in the end, everyone has a different opinion. Even without ever testing them myself, I can assume that all these fans are good and wouldn't be a waste of a purchase.

As for the BEST one, I'd have to do my own personal testing within my working setup to be sure. You can't rely on other testing done with a different computer. The fact that results vary from reviews indicates that.

Well take the "bling bling" out of the picture and lets just look at claimed DBA and CFM specs

I buy my 120's from this guy and this fan is about the best your going to find in terms of Durability, Quality, Performance and Noise levels.108Cfm, 36 Dba

I am looking a brand new Evercool 120m/m fan in the package...Model number AL12025...Right here on the package it seezzz 71.09 Air Flow (not CFM) and Noise (not dba) <34 and list Air Pressure @2.22

Okay that is 108 CFM @ 36 Dba for the Sanyo Denki.

And 71.9 Air Flow @ <34 Noise for the Evercool...Hummm

I aint no rocket scientist...But it would seem to me that 36 CFM (50% of the total "Air Flow" of the Evercool) for a paltry 2 Dba...Is well...How can I put this...No Comparision

Okay lets look at the Panflo...Max. air flow: 68.9 CFM. Max. noise: 30.0 dB-A. Max. air pressure: 3.3 mmH2O.

So here we have 30% more air pressure with the Panflo...3 CFM less but 4 dB-A quieter...Hummm

Seems like there is a new sheriff in town as far as 120m/m fans are concerned...And it aint no Panflo or Evercool...:D

Last edited:
Chixofnix said:

ah... there's the kicker :D

I am, unfortunately, one of those poor fellas that wants fans with EXTREME cooling performance and EXTREME silence when either are needed... makes it hard to lean either way, y'know (either to the noise+cooling or quietness+weak CFM side - I can't say which one is the darker side):D

so I suppose my priorities in a fan are as such:
1,2) Cooling + Quietness, at different voltages (and I want both equally)

3) Reliability - I don't expect my fans to last super long... so it's really not a big priority...

While "bling-bling" usually isn't a factor when I look at fans (LEDs? yuck!), I have submitted to the fact that these aluminum fans look GREAT to me... they reek of... style! :D very James Bondish!!!

so... I really want to know how these Denkis stack up to the panaflo/evercool aluminums in both cooling AND silent performance (voltage being variable)... can you hook me up w/ the info, sam?

(And I meant no disrespect to your saintly reputation in the fan world by not addressing you accordingly... please take no offense! (it was late at night, i swear :D)) ;)

My best advise is to buy the best you can afford, it's cheaper in the end.

Plus just get any fan that suits your fancy and wire it up to a cheap rheostat or fan controller ;)

HERE is the 4 fan roundup i mentioned in the last post - interesting read for anyone looking at 120mm fans, i'd say ;) The guy made a fair comparison though.

@ Hookem: Well hey, the fans I'm thinking of should say "<30" for sound on the box... maybe a 3rd model/revision of the evercool aluminum :confused: ?

I trust Sam (and anyone that does a fair subjective comparison) when he says these Denkis are extrememely quiet, but call me paranoid I just can't bring myself to trust any ratings by the makers... :(

Hookem said:
Well take the "bling bling" out of the picture and lets just look at claimed DBA and CFM specs

I am looking a brand new Evercool 120m/m fan in the package...Model number AL12025...Right here on the package it seezzz 71.09 Air Flow (not CFM) and Noise (not dba) <34 and list Air Pressure @2.22

hmm - not sure what model you have - there are 3: "L", "M", and "H" which are 1800rpm/71.09cfm, 2000rpm/79.14cfm, and 2200rpm/84.76cfm respectively. they also appear to exist in sleeve, 1 ball-bearing and 2 ball-bearing models....

http://evercool.com/kor/open/alu_6.htm

Okay I am looking at the Evercool package:

RPM 2000
Voltage 12
Current 0.28
Air Flow 79.14
Air Pressure 2.83
Noise <36

That is for the "M" model

I dont know about you but I do not have to be hit over the head with a brick...Just got back to the house and am fixing to put them through their paces...Will hook them up just free flowing in open air and will take them and install them on a Swiftech MCX 462-U with a 80 to 120m/m adapter to put a load on them both.

No science here...Just my ears and hands to make my evaluation.

Let the best fan win...:p

My comparision will be between the L1A Panflo and the "L" model, one ball bearing model Evercool...;)

Any bet's???

:) seriously I appreciate it man ;)

are you gonna set them up on some shock-absorbant material to eliminate vibrations from tainting the sound results ?

Nope...I am going to set them on a granite counter top...Any balance differences should be multiplied by this hard unyiedling surface...Now when I mount them to the Swifty they will once again just be setting on top of the granite.

I have also have extensive automotive machine shop experience...When balancing crankshafts for high performance engines you would think that spinning them faster would be the best method...Nope...So mounting them with rubber groments or something that will isolate or absorb vibration will be eliminated.

After testing I will give you the Evercool...Just PM me with your addy and it will be a done deal...:p

Meh... this is silly, best fan I've used is my two 120mm Enermax's, rated at 65-95 CFM ~ 30-36 dbA They push a whole lot of air at 12V and there is absolutely no whine... just the "whoosh" and at medium speed it totally pwnz3Rs in CFM vs dBA... on minimum I can only hear the water pump...

Panaflo = too much $$
Evercool = too much $$

I love my Evercools. Been running 3 of them for probably about a year now and they move a lot of air with only the noise of the air moving. Solid fans for a cheap price. They aren't the best of the best, but anyone who says they are crappy hasn't used them or is in some way biased.

Believe me, if they were crappy I'd be emailing SSS's guy at ebay and ordering new ones right now.

Okay guy's...Round one completed...CFM hands down no doubt about it Evercool absolutley kills the Panflo...

Noise??? Let me address several issues here...Yes the Panflo does emit a kinda of growl...Almost buzzing sound compared to the Evercool

But this claim of the Evercool just making a "whoosing" sound of air moving is almost laughable...If there is only 4dB-A seperating these two fans...I will give you a month to draw a crowd.

The Evercool is a loud fan...No if's...And's...Or butt's about it...And that is the "A" model.

Now that is at 12 volts...Give me a little time and I will post 7 volted results.

:p

7 volt results...The Evercool is quiet tame at 7 volts...Almost silent...Not nearly as quiet as the Panflo.

Output in CFM seems to be very close...I will give the nod to the Evercool in this department.

The Panflo is quieter 7 volted...But the CFM is...Well a toss up...But for all you Evercool "fanboys" I will give it to the Evercool.

So from just the two test...Gotta give it to the Evercool as far as CFM... at 7 volts.

But as far a dB-A...If the Panflo is actually 30 dB-A...Then the Evercool is closer to 40 than it will ever be to 34.

Now on to the test that in my opinion seperates the men for the "bling bling's"...:eek:

I have 7 120mm Evercool Aluminums, and two 80mm Evercool Aluminums in my case.

I can't say I'm not happy with them, and as they're all on a fanbus they operate silently at around 9V.

For a 25mm thick fan these are pretty hard to beat. 38mm fans are too big for me in any case, although I would prefer to use them if I could for the increased pressure.

Well I could tuck my tail between my legs and run for cover.

But I will not.

Like many fan manufactures the dB-A and CFM ratings of their fans are absolutley insane compared to any Pansonic Panflo fan I have personally compared them to.

This is experience...Not word of mouth or "he said" or "she said"

I am almost postive that I could go and buy the H1's or M1's that would be closer to the actual dB-A that the Evercool emits...And probably give honest, subjective results like I have attemted to do in this comparision.

That might give the Panflo's the advantage.

But for this thread it is all about the L1 and A series Evercool and Panflo.

I am pressed for time right now and unable to conduct the 80 to 120 Directron fan adapter to MCX462-U test.

But I would assume that the Evercool would come out on top in that comparision also.

But in the spirit of a good debate and the people who have shared their experince with the fans involved.

I must say that it has been intresting to say the very least.

I know one thing for sure.

Sam has brought to our attention a Sanyo Denki fan that on paper anyway absolutley destroys anything when it comes to CFM versus dB-A ratio that I have heard of.

So really it has been a learning process for all involved.

I will do the 80 to 120 adapter test tomorrow and post my results.

It is a good day for me when I learn anything...And an especially good day when I am involved in a learning experience that not only involves me but other people as well.

:D

A special thanks to james.miller...Hitting enter aint that hard...A lot easier than trying to read some of my reply's...:clap:

Hookem said:
Sam has brought to our attention a Sanyo Denki fan that on paper anyway absolutley destroys anything when it comes to CFM versus dB-A ratio that I have heard of.

No question - if those numbers are accurate (but even if they are, who's specs could we compare them against?).... okay well if those specs are indicative of their performance, then they are most defnitely a top contender...

A special thanks to james.miller...Hitting enter aint that hard...A lot easier than trying to read some of my reply's...:clap:

I'll second that :D definitely easier to read!

Hey hookem, did you have time to pull off a 5V test (maybe compare reliablility on startups while still checking on noise and airflow as usual?) I'm thinking the Panaflo MIGHT have the advantage there... ;)

Back