• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Common knowledge is untrue!! Panaflo 120mm fans are NOT the best!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
gmf1 said:
I thought papst were the best .....just expensive

read THIS fan roundup! The Papst IS a great fan (and it IS expensive), but it doesn't push as much air as some would like... That's where the evercool aluminum steps in...

and keep in mind that we're talking about 120mm fans here... comparing brands across sizes of fans is like comparing apples and oranges (example: evercool 92mm vs. panaflo 92mm is no contest: panaflo stomps evercool, whereas in the 120mm division... well read the rest of the posts ;))

Chixofnix said:

read THIS fan roundup! The Papst IS a great fan (and it IS expensive), but it doesn't push as much air as some would like... That's where the evercool aluminum steps in...

and keep in mind that we're talking about 120mm fans here... comparing brands across sizes of fans is like comparing apples and oranges (example: evercool 92mm vs. panaflo 92mm is no contest: panaflo stomps evercool, whereas in the 120mm division... well read the rest of the posts ;))

Problem is Papst makes a bunch of different 120mm models and push different amounts of air, finding a review that showcases one particular Papst is not a fair way to make a comparison. Fact is Papst makes 2500 different models of fans and they also custom make fans if that is your wish.

Papsts are only expensive if your not a smart shopper (granted these are 80mm's but its just an example of being a smart shopper) :rolleyes:

Hi guys!
I was looking for some information on a 120mm fan I bought at a good price ( sunon kde1212pms1-6a) and ran into this thread.
I read that you are talking about some good fans on a stand-alone basis (without a fan controller) but my question is, aren't my sunons the same as any other fan (of similar specs) if I put them on a fan controller?

Ex. Panaflo L1A is a 68.9 CFM. Max. noise: 30.0 dB-A fan and my sunons are 107CFM. Max. noise 41.00dB-A (yes, noisy),but if I put them on a fan controller I can get them down to L1A "specs", note that the sunon is a 38mm fan also.

Thanks.

10^(dB/10) = units

This can "convert" decibels to a sound unit (don't know what unit name is) / linear scale.

don't have a tool on hand to measure... if my evercools are not mounted and nothing is obstructing their airflow, you can't hear them at all when you're 2 feet away. any closer and you hear the whoosh of air (like wind blowing through past your ears outside).

ZERO mechanical noise and vibrational noise, unless you put your ear solidly up against the metal housing (which i did... just to see...)

yes, they do make noise b/c of the amount of air they push (technically the air is making the noise, but its something to note), but with a fan controller these things rock - they undervolt very reliably to less than 4V, at which they're dead silent...

net advantage: you can have TONS of air or minimal air flowage through your case with ZERO discernible mechanical noise (that is, none of the whirrs, buzzes, or whines that you'd find in other fans)

Silversinksam said:
This guy on Ebay sells these Sanyo Denkis all the time, they are better than those Evercools and they are better than the Panaflos. He sells them for $19 for 4 plus $5.50 shipping. Ask him to list an auction for you and he will hook you up as he has many of these fans.

I buy my 120's from this guy and this fan is about the best your going to find in terms of Durability, Quality, Performance and Noise levels.108Cfm, 36 Dba

Theres only a couple fans better than these, One is the Sanyo Denki continuous use 63,948,000 hour, mean time between failure models. Most ball bearing fans are rated at 60,000 hours before failure, the Sanyo Denki 63 million hour MTBF are very difficult to find, but thats about as good as your going to find.

If your dead set on a metal cased fan, get a metal cased Papst fan, nothing like German engineering, as they are better than Evercools any day of the week.

EDITED: The description on the E-Bay webpage Silversinksam linked to says that these fans are 127mm fans but Diggr from the forums confirmed that these are actually 120mm fans and not 127mm fans. :)

Last edited:
I use some of the Evercools and have had them for a year or so- one did break a fan blade= very delicate.
But they do run pretty well for me.

I also use Panaflo H1A (the L and M models don't flow enough air) and these things beat the pants of the Evercools for cfm, especially when used on a radiator. But when both types are running at 12 volts the Panas are louder: most of the sound is air, but.....
At equal voltage, the Panaflos move more air and around 7 volts neither could be called loud.

I have not yet tried those Sanyo Denkis, but I think my occasional ESP is trying to tell me something....
Yes-
Here it comes:
I will be making a fan purchase in the near future. :D

What about These Sanyo Denki Fans?

I think im going to buy 2 identical 92mm fans for my Heatsink fan and the fan on my window that i will probably do a straight duct to my heratsink with. Can anyone confirm that these are of the same quality as the 120mm that everyone is raving about?

My case is already loaded with panaflo'sand i thought my obvious choice would be to get 2 of these

but for $5 less and SLIGHTLY worse numbers, the Sanyo Denkis are tempting.....

Any thoughts?

Forgot to mention, considering this will be for a duct/heatsink, would the pressure rating of one of these be way better than the other?

Not being an expert, but I would consider myself an advanced user, I love my Evercool 120's in my new Antec P160, modded using Chixofnix's instructions. After removing the fan guards and baffles, my computer has never run cooler, quieter, or better.

My hat's off to Chixofnix's mod and suggestions for the P160. :clap:

Thanks for your very detailed instructions, and I anxiously await the test results, even though I won't change my fans. :thup:

I do. mine are horrible. maybe i just got really unlucky but heh. they rattle and at full speed are pretty loud overall, my case kinda amplifies the sound though.

I just got 3 of these Evercool aluminium fans for my soon to be watercooling set. I did a leaktest with an evercool running on one radiator and the noise was definately audible over the noise of the MCP600 pump, though the difference was much less aparent in free air (case fan?). I heard no mechanical noise whatsoever other than a slight woosh of air. This was done with the noise of a low rpm 80mm fan on an old 250W Sparkle PSU (hardly moves any air and is dead silent) and a MCP600.

When i was considering fans, i actually put this up with the Enermax Adjustable RPM fan and the Panaflo H1A 120mm fan.

I chose this fan for several reasons:

1. Cheaper than Enermax.

2. Didnt need the RPM adjustor on the Enermax, paying for stuff i dont need and i dunno where to put it.

3. Panaflo was black, the fan is going to be right at the top of the case, so it's gonna be seen. I would rather a much better looking silver fan over an ugly 'stock' black fan.

4. pushes more air than a Panaflo

But i think, everyone has their own tastes. This fan is up there, comparable to a Panaflo, PASPT, Enermax, Delta 120mms, but in the end, it boils down to your own preference. You cant say which one is absolutely the best.

The Everool fan does have it's strong points, but it also does have it's weak points and it dosnt lead the other fans by that much, as to be a 'must buy, no question' type of product.

The best way to decide on a fan is to:

1. Decide what kind of fan you want, high cfm? low noise? good looks? then rank them in order of preference

2. look at each of the fans to check out physical apperance.

3. listen to what other people have to say about their reliability

4. If your local com shop permits, pick up the fan, listen to the noise it makes, feel the vibration it makes. But i do beleive Sidewinder Computers has an alternative to that, you can download a sound file and listen to each fan.

To me, the Evercool fan is a middle of the road fan in terms of noise and cfm volume and gives a balanced performance and in my view, is the best for an exposed radiator + fan assembly.

Valk said:
I do. mine are horrible. maybe i just got really unlucky but heh. they rattle and at full speed are pretty loud overall, my case kinda amplifies the sound though.
dude, i'd return it and ask for another... definitely a lemon ;)

Nova makes a good point - it really does come down to what you're looking for, and there probabaly never will be an end-all solution for any application regarding casefans...

@RoyBoy, glad i could help :)

Well, I picked up 6 (yes, countem, 6) Evercool 120mm fans for my watercooling (6 in push-pull on my Thermochill...excess is good :D). I've hooked a few up and I must say, they're very nice. The whoosh is all you hear, and they look awesome.

I have a few questions for you though Chixofnix. First of all, how the hell are you supposed to mount this thing? I need to mount it through a fan grill and the lian-li top panel, how would I do that? Any help is greatly appreciated. I'd be mounting these on top of my radiator, so maybe attach the fan to the radiator shrouds, then attach the fan to the top of the case? Please let me know, as I'm pretty confused.

Actually, it's impossible to compare the fans on a noise basis using the manufacturer's specs. Every manufacturer has its own setup to measure the noise level and therefore different they get different results.

Proof: Thermaltake Thunderblade.
I just can't believe the 80 cfm / 21 dBA specs.

Please be aware and suspicious.

Fyberwire said:
I have a few questions for you though Chixofnix. First of all, how the hell are you supposed to mount this thing? I need to mount it through a fan grill and the lian-li top panel, how would I do that? Any help is greatly appreciated. I'd be mounting these on top of my radiator, so maybe attach the fan to the radiator shrouds, then attach the fan to the top of the case? Please let me know, as I'm pretty confused.

On Mounting: yes, using the dinky little screws that come w/ these fans is fine and dandy for threading into your typical plastic fan housing, but MAN it's a pain getting them into the aluminum, much less in a straight fashion! After mounting one of my evercools that way, i resolved i'd never try it again...

so here's the basic solution i fell upon - i think it's pretty elegant, personally:
IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

it may not be terribly clear by that second pic, but basically it's a long threaded bolt w/ some wingnuts - i think the whole bill (8 of each - for two fans) was less than 2.50 USD after tax at a local hardware store... As you can see, the bolts are quite a bit longer than i needed, but then you could always dremel them off if you wanted to (I may need the extra length someday if any of my cardboard duct models manages to NOT increase the important temps :D)...

you could also go for zipties if the situation demands it... and i have a perfectly good reason for this ghettoness i swear it:
IMG_1554.jpg

.... tape plus wires plus zipties = a brand 120mm new heatsink fan on a HS designed for 90mm fans at max... man i've been here for too long!

oh yeah - I actually have TWO good excuses for this emergency ghetto-cooling: arcryfay / oomday eethray

show me a pic of the panel and rad you're planning with, and i may be able to help you a bit more - though i would recommend you pull in the opinions of some w/ more experience in that field - i've always been a hot-air kinda guy =)

Chaser said:
you could just get a delta that has 190 cfm :)

Yes, I use one myself it is "a very very nice". Delta fans are very nice. However, the best built fans, balanced, quality components, and long life, and has a size for just about everything has to got to be ebmpabst. I have used them for years and while they are also the most expensive of any fan. They will last for years and years even under the most extreme enviroments.

Back