• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer/Hard Drive suddenly running slow?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Does MHDD fix file system errors? I've never used it before, That's the reason why I told the OP to run chkdsk. Not to find bad sectors, by errors in the filesystem itself.
I don't think MHDD does anything at the file level, only at the sector level. BTW it's one of the HDD diagnostics on the Ultimate Boot CD

I'd check for a bad SATA cable connection because that can make a good HD run slow.

I am trying to figure out what this post is trying to solve?

Are you curious about the drives slowing down during the test, or the noise coming from one of the drives, or?

I am trying to figure out what this post is trying to solve?

Are you curious about the drives slowing down during the test, or the noise coming from one of the drives, or?

Originally, the OP complaind he has a new drive that "grinds / makes a lound sound" when he opens a folder... Also, when he opens a folder (in addition to the loud sounds), Windows lags for about a minute or so, then it resonds and displays the folder's contents.......

He ran Malwarebytes and removed about 28 unwanted tool bars / other junk and said this has helped to alleviate the problem, but it still happens just not as much.

OP hasn't posted since I guess...

Originally, the OP complaind he has a new drive that "grinds / makes a lound sound" when he opens a folder... Also, when he opens a folder (in addition to the loud sounds), Windows lags for about a minute or so, then it resonds and displays the folder's contents.......

He ran Malwarebytes and removed about 28 unwanted tool bars / other junk and said this has helped to alleviate the problem, but it still happens just not as much.

OP hasn't posted since I guess...

Ok. At first I was thinking that the op though drive was slowing down as the test continued (due to the drive being writing closer to the center of the plate).

Like stated, I am going to go with mechanical problem. If the drive is under warranty, clone drives and use a temp and get it sent in or else buy another. At least to me, it is not worth loosing all of your data over $40 drive. (you do not realize what you have to loose, until you loose it).

Back