• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Condensation problems..?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.


Aug 12, 2002
Athens, Greece
Well, this is the situation:

I have a GA-7VRXP, XP1800+ agoia (not Y), 256Mb RAM @333, TNT2, DVD, HD maxtor 20 @5400 watercooled with a refrigerating system made of a portable air-condition (R22, 6500btu). The evaporator is stuck inside the freezer compartment of a non working fridge (..i cut the freezer off the fridge..), the pump is a Sicce Idra 1300, the waterblock is a copper one with 6 "tunnels" in it of 7mm each. I use methanol + distilled water (30:70), 37lits.

I first used it air cooled (no water), the temps were (XP1800@1533) 45 idle and 50-52-54 at full load.

Then i used it watercooled, the coolant at 21, the temps were 32 idle, 35-36 at full load. I tried to overclock (XP locked) and i got [email protected] steady (soldiers of fortune, prime95, Divx encoding), when i went higher with the fsb it posted, entered windows xp, but in the next boot returned as xp1800.. But i went as higher as xp2200+@1850 (fsb 158-159), i also made an divx encoding with it!

And then i made some modifications:
First i unlocked the XP: i used silicone for filling the gaps (using tape for masking the L1 contacts) and then silver conductive liquid for getting them (all 5) connected. At a point i thought that i made a mistake and put some silver in one gap, but then i used it and it was unlocked: all the multipliers were available..

Then i took care of the socket: i put the silicone and the neoprene patch inside it, then i put silicone all around it, let it dry and then i installed the CPU and put silicone all around it: the edges of the CPU are siliconed to the socket.. Then i put silicone also on the back along with a neoprene patch.
Then i insulated the whole thing my making 4 neoprene patches that i positioned one on the other (like bricks) and made a structure 9x9x3cm. The patches have a hole on the center part, this way i installed the waterblock and after securing it i put some neoprene on top and silicone on all gaps (also between the neoprene patches).
I also used neoprene for covering the tubes.

I turned on the pc and i saw that the tempereature was high.. the coolant was damn cold (the tubes were not covered with neoprene outside the case, for 10-15cm) and were really cold, in fact they were iced together.. but the temperature was high: 25idle and 30 or higher at full load.. strange, eh? i thought that the temperature probe has become less sensitive, maybe for the silicone and the neoprene put inside the socket (QUESTION: the temps registered by the probe after putting silicone everywhere should be the same as before?????????), that's why i put the sensor of my Senfu thermometer under the copper shim and between the waterblock and the CPU (not on the core). The temps are 20-24 idle and can get higher as 27-30 at full load..
But how is it possible..? the coolant is surelly subzero and i have only a 5-7 decrease from when it was at 20????
Maybe, the waterblock isnt positoned as it should on the core..?

And then there is the overclock problem.. i can't get over 140-145x11.5, and when i go it crashes.. Maybe there is condensation...? i didn't used the dielettrict grease, i couldnt find it, and some guys messing with peltiers told me that i could not use it if i seal everything air tight!! Are they right or are the ****ting me..? Maybe i messed up with unlocking the XP..? Maybe the TNT2 messes with everything else...?

In windows Xp the stability is good, IF i don't overclock.. In windows 98 ME i get occasional freezing.. condensation maybe...?

I decided to get everything apart and reinstall with the coolant at
20 and without the neoprene stuff..

Also i'll try using vaselline as a dielectric grease..

Any ideas...????????
Sorry, this may be stupid response. If it is, I apologize.

You have a watercooled system with the coolant (assuming water + some solute) at sub-zero temperatures so that there is ice forming on the tubing? Are you sure there isn't ice forming INSIDE the tubing?

Also, are you sure the waterblock is in mounted tightly and evenly on the die? It sounded like you put silicon everywhere and just want to make sure there isn't any deposited on the waterblock-die interface.