• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CoolIT Systems - Freezone CPU Cooler, about to pull the trigger, will I regret it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gregz

CoolIT Systems - Freezone CPU Cooler, about to pull the trigger, will I regret it?

I'm about to purchase a CoolIT Systems - Freezone CPU Cooler based on the results I'm seeing from this guy's thread at dfi-street.com:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.php?p=616132&postcount=11

I wanted to post here to see if anyone had any warnings about this cooler, or perhaps suggestions for a better cooler(at or around $300). I live in Atlanta, GA on the shore of a lake so humidity/condensation is a very big problem for me. The Freezone cooler is self-regulating and doesn't cool the chip below the dewpoint/ambient so that's a big plus in my book (not having to worry about condensation). So I'm pretty wary of phase-change coolers. But, I'm not very knowledgeable about them so please enlighten me if I'm misguided here.

All comments and suggestions are appreciated,

-Greg

http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=79

OP linked to a thread where it was mentioned...

Thought I would drop that link since I had to google it to find it. No clue wwhether its worth it or not

Chillers are en vouge right now, but tec cooling still needs alot of power I believe. I wouldnt do it... but doesnt mean its not a good idea. Straight WC would be a better option IMHO or look through the forum here for Chiller how tos.

Oh ok... definately not worth it. Not very efficient and for 300 you can build a comprable WC loop...If you had classified access their is a phase unit for sale at 250 :)

Gregz said:
I'm about to purchase a CoolIT Systems - Freezone CPU Cooler based on the results I'm seeing from this guy's thread at dfi-street.com:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.php?p=616132&postcount=11

i dont' think condensation will be a problem for you, even in the most humid of ambients ... the cpu block just won't get cold enough to be a problem. also, the warmer your ambient ... the cooler your cpu temp will be (roughly anyway). point is ... with a TEC system ... warmer ambient air actually produces a better cpu block performance.

otherwise ... after looking at 4 or 5 user tests/reviews ... i think it's a pretty good value considering everything is pre built and turn key. most likely would smoke just about any water cooled setup.

as far as an upgrade and were i to have a spare 300 bills or so laying around ... i'd buy it in a heartbeat. i live in houston and my room is always near 80F. i could probably run 24/7 at 4ghz with that thing, considering i'm at 3.6ghz now, on air.

my poor modified zalman is working *overtime*.

:p

It uses unefficient TECs to cool the chiller, theres not a pelt on the CPU. And no matter what there is a delta between ambient and water temp...so it is incorrecnt that higher ambients would make lower cpu temps.

DONT DO IT!

it crap. Using TEC's to chill water can be ok but if you look at units that do so they may draw 800W etc and are used for different purposes.

crfracer290 said:
It uses unefficient TECs to cool the chiller, theres not a pelt on the CPU. And no matter what there is a delta between ambient and water temp...so it is incorrecnt that higher ambients would make lower cpu temps.

check out this guy's test/review; i think i mis understood his point.

what he does demonstrate is that ambient temps do not *dramatically* effect the TEC coolers performance as they do with air and water cooling setups.

for those of us in hot climes ... this is nice.

here's a link:

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=313&type=expert&pid=7

However ineffective ambients might be, this system is still a POS. On their little chart it shows the max CPU load as 35C. On my 250 dollar water setup, my stick e6600 loaded at about 31, and that with Houston ambients as well ;)

And like I said before, a decent phase can be had for a little more than 300 and a self made water chiller for even less.

crfracer290 said:
However ineffective ambients might be, this system is still a POS. On their little chart it shows the max CPU load as 35C. On my 250 dollar water setup, my stick e6600 loaded at about 31, and that with Houston ambients as well ;)

And like I said before, a decent phase can be had for a little more than 300 and a self made water chiller for even less.

:)

personally ... and speaking from a personal dualprime95 load temp of around 60 to 61C ...

i'd pay $250 *or* $300 to get 31 *or* 35 degrees celsius at the same cpu load level.

do you have any info on the phase application you mention for a little more than 300?

i'll eventually drop some change on something in the future.

Used phase units can come by very cheap, and by cheap I mean the sub-400 dollar range. If you are looking to get a nice custom new, case enclosed, mint condition phase unit, you will be spending upwards of 600.

However it is very easy to find used units for a great price. A used mach 1 can be had for around 300, used Vapochills for around 400, all depending on the condition and parts utilized.

Right now I would check out the classifieds because there is a great deal for a phase unit for 250.

I'm pretty sure we had an old thread here were this product got much bashing.

The coolit systems cooler is no good

I got better cooling with my 110.00 dollar thermaltake water cooler I put together for my nephew.

the freezone is pretty looking, quiet, and maintenance free but no good for overclocking.

A good fan and heatsink will do better for cheaper or the water cooler I mentioned above.

I had the freezeone it was disappointing

High end air cooling will even beat a Tt water cooler.

Looka round for some coke vending machines that are getting scraped, the type with sliding doors. They will have a rather powerfull cooling plant in them all pre built. All you do is take thast out, bring it home, then build a coil into a container connect tubes. find another compressor thats for scrap and buy some basic stuff from ebay (Up tot his point you may have spent about 20 bucks for paying the salvage fee of the scrap yard and a mates gas to drive it home for ya if you don't have a car) Ebay you need to buy: POE Oil, Guages, Can tap.

At this point you will have a res with coil built, a condencing plant good for 6K BTU or so. Now you need to coneect the two some how and switch out the old oil with the new. Total cost? 200 Bucks or less, depends on your ebay luck and hunting skills. that solution will decimate any thing that comp can offer.

I have a Cool It FreeZone in my system described in my sig.

It cools only slightly better than a Typhoon air cooler. I even changed the stock fan to a 38mm thick fan that is rated about 100cfm to see if I could get better cooling. The greater air flow did help a little, but the noise level was not acceptable to me. I still run the FreeZone because it keeps my opty 165 running 20C idle and 39C at full load with two apps of Prime95.

I live north of Atlanta, GA on Lake Lanier, and I do occasionally get condensation.

I am investigating a water cooling system for my next build with a Intel core 2 duo E6600, 680i motherboard, and 8800GTX. I plan to cool the cpu with a swiftech Apogee, gpu with something that has not yet been manufactured, and northbridge with a swiftech mcw30. Got to figure out which case and where to mount the radiator and reservoir. I have not yet decided on which radiator . . . possibly a Black Ice Extreme III that can take 6x120mm fans.

I have not purchased anything yet. In the research stage at the moment.

im getting a top of the line w/c system. and im still debating whether or not to pic up an old Meanwell PSU and a pelt. im very very handy with building stuff so it'll probably won't blow up on me.

but i like the idea of a pelt because its a hella lot smaller than a phase change. and i'm alll about portability here. (but not to a point where its a mAtx, but also not a heavy 80 pound machine)

Thats why I like chillers. You can have them in a separate and pretty small case and use quick connects to connect and disconnect coolant lines if you need to move the machine. And with nice quick connects you don't loose a drop of coolant.

I got mine here and it has free shipping:
http://www.xoxide.com/coolit-systems-tec-water-cooling.html

I also got the info on this product from OldGuy at the dfi forums, and i'm here to tell you I LIKE IT :)
EVGA 680i + E6600 running at 3.2 (this is the max overclock) idles at 18C and never goes over 35C under load (using Core Temp Software) the bios actually shows it cooler under load but now days the temps fluctuate so much i'll never now what is right. In my opinion it is quiet and very effective and does not draw alot of power , now i live in WI so humidity is not an issue. As far as Tech Support it is AWESOME !!!! I called them twice when i was setting it up to make sure i was doing it right, because i thought that this is to easy, and they always picked up on the 1st ring. They have new products coming out shortly. This is just my experience with this product i give it 5 stars :) :clap:

Thats such a horrible waste of power. Given the pets are bad enough they slap water between them and the heat source. I don't know who was the bright guy who came up with that but then again, today is all about having stickers on your civic and thinking it makes you go faster.

The only things I see is a plus is portability but at this point you might as well just put a tec on your cpu and one on your gpu and get both portability and better performance.

Of coarse not that I am a big fan of pelts as it is given we have phase DD and chillers, but to each his own.

Back