• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CoolIT Systems - Freezone CPU Cooler, about to pull the trigger, will I regret it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Farwalker said:
It cools only slightly better than a Typhoon air cooler. I even changed the stock fan to a 38mm thick fan that is rated about 100cfm to see if I could get better cooling. The greater air flow did help a little, but the noise level was not acceptable to me. I still run the FreeZone because it keeps my opty 165 running 20C idle and 39C at full load with two apps of Prime95.

The noise isn't a problem for me, and when running my 220CFM delta fan through my Typhoon, the temps will hold really well. The highest temp i have seen my overclocked 146 run is 39*c, and it was 32*c ambient. with the fan full speed it will idle at ambient. If noise is no problem, then its the only way to go. Very cheap and very worth it. I used to run my XP-M 2600+ at 2.7Ghz(1.975v) 24/7 with this cooling. Kept it below 50c

You would get much better results if you use pelts directly. They are inefficient enough as it is with out any help from half-baked engineering.

I'm not sure if this is a dead subject or not, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents (and trust me, it's probably not worth two cents even). = )

The system does exactly what it says, keeps "normal" things running cold at idle and well cooled at load.

When I run my system at stock, idle temps are 17-ish C and never hits load above 35C during Prime95's max heat and power stress test.

Though I don't run my system at stock... oh shoot, I guess it'd help if I let you know what my system is. heh

evga 680i
600w PSU
evga 8800GTX
XMS2 Dominator 800MHz ram
XEON 3070 (2.66GHz cpu)
CoolIT Freezone

This is my CPU OC'd to 3750MHz, idle's at about 20C. I think I just about broke 40C with Prime95's power and heat stress test.

Some screens...
3750MHzStock.JPG
3750MHzStockCoreTemp.JPG

3Dmark06_900MHz_RAM_00.JPG

The issue I have with the Unit, is I want to push it harder... and it has a breaking point where it just becomes useless.

I hit the breaking point here:
4GHz.JPG

Over heats with any load greater then tooling around in XP. The unit doesn't handle loaded temps very well, period. Unless you are running low to stock voltages, you'll Idle well but once the heat rises, the system just can't cool it down fast enough before it reaches the CPU block again.

I am ordering parts to mod mine, as I want to push my system harder... I'm going to add a resevior to it at minimum, and I'm toying with the idea of adding a single fan rad to it just after the liquid travels out of the CPU block to have it travel into the rad with fan to help cool it down before it reaches the chiller. So basiclly I want to make a WC loop that "also" has a Freezone in there somewhere. = )

I don't know if any of this will work, as Ima noob to all this... but I'm gonna find out. = )

So Bottom Line = The higher the consistent heat, the worse this thing gets and it ends up being a very short water loop without rad. If you are not going to push your system hard, or atleast not "extreme", then it is a good all-in-one package with no muss no fuss approach...

I plan to tear mine apart and make it stronger... faster... hopefully it just don't cost me 6 million dollars. = )

I wouldn't trust 17C without insulation. All you need for disaster is for air temperatures and humidity to rise a little like in the summer, maybe rain a little, and you would be in trouble.

35067dewpointchart.jpg

Back