• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair Obsidian 800D Air Cooling :/

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niheathcote

Hey there,

So I have recently purchased parts for my new high end gaming rig. However I made the foolish mistake of not reading up on the case as much as I should of.

I chose the Corsair Obsidian 800d, with the intention of air cooling. Which I have recently been informed fails in the stock air cooling setup.

So my question is, can I improve on the air cooling of the case? I would prefer to avoid water cooling if I can, as I am uneducated in the set up.

Any advice on how I can improve air cooling will be greatly appreciated

i7 2600k
Gtx 580 sli
16gb corsair vengeance ram (4x4gb)
Asus Sabertooth p67
1000w PSU
240gb SSD Intel 520
600gb VelociRaptor

Well to start up, SLI 580's are going to produce a LOT of heat. You're right about the Corsair Obsidian not having very good air cooling. In fact, the case was mostly produced for WCing. As far as fixing it, an option for air cooling proficiency is to mod the case. You could go out and get a 4 1/2 inch bi metal hole saw for fan cutouts, there's also modder's mesh to make it look good. Honestly though, if your not comfortable with a full WCing setup (which if you read the sticky you could do it) I would recommend getting a Corsair H100, they have good performance but it's a closed loop system so no chance of leaks. You could put that right in the top of the case. That takes care of your CPU, so now for the 580's, I would definitely cut a hole in the divider above the PSU slot, that will allow another fan to go there and you could get air flow to the bottom of the GPU's and then it will exhaust out the rear. That will give you decent temps. But really, if you want a high performance gaming rig, WCing is your best option, specially with that case.

Yea big mistake on my part, but it seems that I will be forced to learn about water cooling. At least if I pull it off the temps will be amazing, have to figure out the best set up for the best price. Any advice?

Back