• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Cortana, you're fired!"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OP gets your point.

I get your point. And I didnt think posting what happened with my laptop was ranting, Ill revise my opinion.
This has nothing to do with your post :). It was a generic statement in support of starting a new thread if this one isn't going to be updated anymore.

We could start a proper rant thread, join all the posts there for you know, therapeutic purposes :D

Last edited:
I am finishing up my re-installation of Windows 10, since now you have to re-modify Windows 10 with every major new build.
I already knew hot to switch away from Bing, I am writing down every step of my modification process.

Afaik, the newest build locks Cortana to Bing, if that is what you mean by switching away from Bing.

Afaik, the newest build locks Cortana to Bing, if that is what you mean by switching away from Bing.

I had thought that was a key issue with the Anniversary Update, as well as everything typed in the Start search box is shared with Bing, even if it's a local search.

Yes, we can't get totally away from Edge and Bing. It irritates me that when I use the Cortana search box it still loads Edge, even when I have changed my default browser to Chrome.

I'm pretty sure he is talking about how using the search function on the Taskbar always uses Bing... No matter the search engine you choose

I have shut off searching the web through there and only search through my browser of choice. :)

SU10 does some good things pretty quick and easy for a lot of the people that worry...

"That being said, there are big questions to be asked about whether Windows 10 can continue to grow in years to come" - from the article near the end

What I wonder is if they even care. Of course it can continue to grow and will, as soon as they finish breaking/killing Win7. And that isn't even counting EOL for Win7/8/8.1. All M$ has to do is wait and Win10 will become the only option by default. I realize that there are other choices besides M$ (macOS/*nix), however I do believe that M$ wouldn't throw their weight around so much if they had less marketshare (and they know it/count on it). I hope other consumers will begin to see the same issues and make M$ marketshare a little less monolithic. It would be nice to have a usable OS without having to build it from scratch

Mixed feelings about that one, considering the crap you have to do just to install Win7 in the newer hardware got me wondering why more people don't go for Win8.1 which is newer, faster, less buggier, more updated, more secure...

oh right Metro :bang head

Which is also an easy fix...*queue c6 and his copy/paste instructions*

... the problem is, few people want to tweak and fix, but just want it to work out of the box.

Kinda like console fanboys :rofl: in this case the stubbornness for Win7 its a tad unrealistic though, all it takes is installing a simple free program and bye bye metro, literally takes 10s or less. Oh well...

My problem was Media Center. W8.1 solved the "Metro issue". It would boot straight to desktop, no problem. I didn't like Metro at all, but I didn't have an irrational fear of tiles. I still like my Aero desktop and effects and I have Media Center, and the picture from my TV tuner card is noticeably improved in W7 over W10. The article I linked was short, and lacking depth, but since I'm one of the statistics they were talking about it tickled me. :)

By the time I moved to Win7 from WinXp, 7 was already off the shelves and 8 was being pushed, but I don't believe 8.1 had been released. In the intervening time I've become pretty fond of 7. My entire argument hinges on the poor business practices of Microsoft. Forcing upgrades and refusing to sell the product that people want ( like I said 7 was off the shelf. The store rep said to buy 8. Legit sources to get Win7 were nearly non existing). As a guy with an underpowered budget and underpowered hardware, u would have preferred to stay on XP, and was reluctant to make the move to 7. I was in no mood to be forced onto 8/8.1. Luckily I've solved the hardware issue (mostly) and have a nicely working install of 7 - now that M$ is done trying to force me to upgrade for "free". As I already said, I can only hope that MS quits bullying customers or loses quite a few. My personal plan is to be proficient in the alternatives before Win7 EOL.

Just my. 02 :)

It's a strange trend ? (haven't tried the ones missing) - DOS 6.22 ok, Win3.11 ok, Win95 meh, Win98se ok, WinME meh, Win2k ok, WinXP ok, WinVista meh, Win7 ok, Win8.1 ok, Win10 meh...

Back