• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could Nintendo go third party?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
And there's another bone I have to pick with Nintendo. They are the re-release KINGS of the videogame market.

True. But... re-released games can be nice! The Marathon games (by Bungie) were open-sourced a little while ago, and a group re-worked them to run on OSX, Windows, and Linux. One of the things they improved was the max resolution of the games. And it made them so much better! The extra detail at distances, the less jagged edges along diagonal geometric shapes, etc…

The textures are the same. The graphical effects (mostly), the AI behavior, the sounds, everything else was the same. But the resolution is such a big deal for me that it was almost a new experience. I loved it.

I want old games re-worked. I want to play EV Override on my Windows 7 system. I want to play Super Mario 64 at 1080p (or even 4k!). These games were good. They defined a big part of my life, and I want to play them again on modern equipment (so I don’t have to learn soldering to repair stuff, heh), and I want to see them in high-rez. That’s all! And I’ll pay for it.

When a piece of pure art is produced by a studio, you don’t want to punish them. You want to reward them, shower them with love, shower them with praise, and make sure they understand the reasons for your love! WE LIKE FUN POLISHED GAMES WITH SOUL!!!, you need to say. And nothing says “I love your games, guys!!” more than throwing additional money at them.

When Nintendo re-makes their old games, they’re trying to sell them to me, and everyone else who loved them before. They’re inviting us to re-experience the joy we had before, but with a bunch of icing on the top with better resolution and effects. Their prices are steep, but it’s better than having the game fade into the mists of time, never to be played again except on buggy emulators.

We don’t have to buy them. They know that the fatigue has set in for some of the crowd. But they hear my distress, they hear my pleas, and have come riding to my rescue, all while patching up their dying bank account with my money.
The practice is okay by me.

True. But... re-released games can be nice! The Marathon games (by Bungie) were open-sourced a little while ago, and a group re-worked them to run on OSX, Windows, and Linux. One of the things they improved was the max resolution of the games. And it made them so much better! The extra detail at distances, the less jagged edges along diagonal geometric shapes, etc…

The textures are the same. The graphical effects (mostly), the AI behavior, the sounds, everything else was the same. But the resolution is such a big deal for me that it was almost a new experience. I loved it.

I want old games re-worked. I want to play EV Override on my Windows 7 system. I want to play Super Mario 64 at 1080p (or even 4k!). These games were good. They defined a big part of my life, and I want to play them again on modern equipment (so I don’t have to learn soldering to repair stuff, heh), and I want to see them in high-rez. That’s all! And I’ll pay for it.

When a piece of pure art is produced by a studio, you don’t want to punish them. You want to reward them, shower them with love, shower them with praise, and make sure they understand the reasons for your love! WE LIKE FUN POLISHED GAMES WITH SOUL!!!, you need to say. And nothing says “I love your games, guys!!” more than throwing additional money at them.

When Nintendo re-makes their old games, they’re trying to sell them to me, and everyone else who loved them before. They’re inviting us to re-experience the joy we had before, but with a bunch of icing on the top with better resolution and effects. Their prices are steep, but it’s better than having the game fade into the mists of time, never to be played again except on buggy emulators.

We don’t have to buy them. They know that the fatigue has set in for some of the crowd. But they hear my distress, they hear my pleas, and have come riding to my rescue, all while patching up their dying bank account with my money.
The practice is okay by me.

I would buy an HD remake of Metroid Prime.

Mmmm, Metroid Prime. Would buy that in a heartbeat for my Wii U.

I'll take that a step further. If Nintendo re-released Super Mario 64 and the first two Metroid 3d games, I'd actually consider buying a WiiU!

EDIT: Kinda like Halo for the xbox, it's pretty much the only reason I'd want one. And maybe fusion frenzy...

I'll take that a step further. If Nintendo re-released Super Mario 64 and the first two Metroid 3d games, I'd actually consider buying a WiiU!

EDIT: Kinda like Halo for the xbox, it's pretty much the only reason I'd want one. And maybe fusion frenzy...

They did... Super Mario 64 DS :-/

Metroid Prime 1 & 2 are the best. MP3.... I dunno, missed the mark for me.

Super Mario 64... on the DS? Ugh, that tiny little miniscule screen. My eyes, they protest doth much!

I felt like the Metroid Prime was the best, followed closely by Echos (but it was a little grindy towards the end), and Corruption was just a waste of developer time. The entire atmosphere was destroyed, and the animations seemed like they were made by the summer intern. And the music, what happened?? I didn't like Corruption.

Super Mario 64... on the DS? Ugh, that tiny little miniscule screen. My eyes, they protest doth much!

I felt like the Metroid Prime was the best, followed closely by Echos (but it was a little grindy towards the end), and Corruption was just a waste of developer time. The entire atmosphere was destroyed, and the animations seemed like they were made by the summer intern. And the music, what happened?? I didn't like Corruption.

Use a DSi XL! :rofl:

Hehe :rolleyes: I'd take a look at a Super Mario 64 re-do sure. Then I can get the new Mario Kart.

I beat Prime 1 & 2 and played over 30 hours each to finally get 100% game completion. Finding every upgrade and missile expansion is tough :)
I beat prime 3 once.... good enough for me.

I'd rather a new galaxy game than a new super mario 64 remake. Mario 64 is in my favorite two of the series (world for snes being the other). But the galaxy games on the Wii are fantastic as was super mario 3d world for the WiiU.

Why/how would they be limited if they developed for PS4/XB1?

I don't see how they would do poorly if they went that route and got out of the hardware business.

Why/how would they be limited if they developed for PS4/XB1?

I don't see how they would do poorly if they went that route and got out of the hardware business.

Nintendo has always been different from the other consoles.
Most recently the WiiMote and the WiiU tablet.

That said, I think they could do very well with Kinect, but feel it wouldn't be the same experience as on their hardware.

I really believe that the WiiMote and tablet are just gimmicks. I would much rather play their games with the pro controller than a WiiMote. motion controls are dead. Kinect is also essentially dead after the de-bundling from the XB1

I actually prefer the tablet or WiiMote over the controller, depending on which game it is.

I feel the need to chime in for some reason, probably because I do own a Wii U, and it's for me (age 27 male) and no I don't have kids.

Nintendo was my number one up through N64, the Zelda franchise is certainly my favorite of any game series from any console. I have no idea why I never bought a GameCube or Wii, I had just gotten sidetracked by other options for a while I guess (PS2->PS3->XB360, PC all along the way).
One day after my PS3 had crapped-out and my 360 was boring me I had wondered why I strayed from Nintendo. I guess this lumps me into the "nostalgia" category, but I sold the 360, and bought a Wii U. Couldn't be happier. I bought the Wii version of Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword to catch up on what I missed with Zelda, and shortly after Wind Waker HD came out so I felt complete.
Then Mario 3D world was great, then DK Tropical Freeze blew me away and had me cussing my way all the way to the end, then Mario Kart 8 hit and my buddies bought Wii U's to get in on the online fun.
Now there's a new Star Fox, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Party, new Zelda, Smash Bros, and other fun looking games in the pipeline. I didn't have any hint of buyer's remorse prior to all that info coming out, and I certainly won't with those games on the way.
Motion controls can be gimmicky, but I had a kinect and the sports games were always a party hit, and I loved the controls on Skyward Sword and the way they integrated the motion into puzzle solving and boss-fighting mechanics. I love the gamepad too. There were many nights where I would lay in bed and play on the nice screen, or have something on TV while I'm playing a game.
Nintendo is certainly not looking good in sales as of late, especially when you compare to the huge success that was the original Wii, but they're sitting on a lot of cash (thanks to those Wii sales) and I think they'll be fine.
If they keep making consoles, I'll buy. If they go software only and maintain the quality of their core titles, I'll buy.

I want Nintendo to go 3rd party. They aren't innovating. They make stale, outdated consoles, and they systems are a 3rd party software desert, in my opinion.

Back