• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Fan Vibrating? 3000 rpms?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aeon

Registered
What the hell is going on? There's always been a large buzz coming from my computer, but I never cared enough to actually diagnose wtf was going on. Welp, after unplugging every fan (minus my enermax power supply, it's quiet as hell :D)... I've come to realize that my Sanyo Denki 60mm fan on top of my Alpha is seriously vibrating..... badly. I'm talking, almost the same amount of noise a delta makes =[. Now, I've tried tightening the screws, loosening the screws, everything... What can I do to get rid of this vibration? It's pissing me off now!

aeon =[

Some how the fan has become unbalanced, and centrifigual force is causing the vibration. Next time you shut down, check the fan blades themselves. One might be broken or bent. If not, the bearings might be going south on you.

Mr B

If one of the fan blades is broken this can happen. I accidentally broke one of the fan blades off of a Delta 10mm * 60mm fan. It was very quiet before, but once it became imbalanced it rattled REALLY BADLY. It shook the whole computer case. I didn't feel comfortable having it shaking my video card constantly (on top of my video heatsink) and I didn't like the noise so it went straight in the trash.

I had the same thing happen with my Sunon fan on my Alpha 6035 and spent untold hours trying to figure out what was rattling. It was literally driving me insane. I thought it was the sunon fan because when I would touch it (while running) the vibration would go away.

I actually figure out it was the back plane of the case where the motherboard lines up with the holes for the plugs. It had shifted sometime and the rpm's of the sunon fan made it rattle against the motherboard. I moved it back (approximately 1/10th of an inch) and everything is fine now. My sanity has returned and today I just installed a 120mm Sunon fan as an intake right over the cpu/motherboard. My temps dropped another 8oC and now I barely hit 44oC when running the folding at home program.

Hmmm, I'll give that shot... thanx for the ideas =[. I think I might try ordering a 60mm Panaflow L1A, it's supposed to do 25db max, so that's extremely appealing =D.

aeon

aeon (Mar 21, 2001 06:21 p.m.):
Hmmm, I'll give that shot... thanx for the ideas =[. I think I might try ordering a 60mm Panaflow L1A, it's supposed to do 25db max, so that's extremely appealing =D.

aeon

Panaflos are AWESOME! They are even quieter than their rated decibel specs because they don't have annoying high pitched whines to them. Sunon fans, on the other hand, are horrible. I swear they badly underrate their fan noise specs. For example: the Delta 10mm * 60mm is supposedly 36 decibels, but it is QUIETER than a Sunon 15mm * 60mm fan rated supposedly for something like 34 decibels.

Nagorak
I just broke one of the Panaflo blades!!! It just ran less than 3 mins. you give me the good advice to mount 80mm panaflo on WBK38. But i ruin it man. Read my experience on with title "Broken Heart... With Bloody Experience" . Thank for you help and advice.

TCS

Back