• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cpu VS Gpu for gaming...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vedder323

My buddy buys more cpu+mobo's than you could ever count. He and I usually upgrade our systems and overclock just for fun. Lately, we have been looking at making a change and he is sadly leaving his AMD rig for a P4. He is on my case for not upgrading like he is and thinks im an idiot for sticking with my trusty 2100B. Anyhow... the last thing he asked me is what are you going to upgrade next? I told him my GPU card... He basically says im being stupid and im gonna bottleneck my whole system. I currently own a 9700pro and I hope to buy the 9900pro as soon as it is released. The real question here is... What does gaming rely on more... A cpu+mobo upgrade or a Gpu card upgrade? I would love to prove him wrong on this cause he thinks hes God himself but hey... I can easily admit defeat, I certainly do not know the answer. It just seems a bit more logical that ill be getting more out of a game buy getting the 9900 other than buying a new Intel setup. Who knows, right?

What I proudly have...

Abit NF7-S 1.2
AMD Athlon XP 2100b @2.4
512 mb TwinMos winbond
ATI 9700pro
pelt and water cooled...

I think with the 9900pro, that the 3.06ghz P4 will be the bottleneck. So, right now, your CPU is prolly the Bottleneck already.

Maybe...

I would agree that the CPU seems like it might cause a bottle neck. Why not pick up a 3200+ with the video card. Don't go to the dark side, ;)

Usually, gaming does benefit more from a video card upgrade than a CPU/mobo upgrade. A P4 3.06GHz with a GF2MX would get spanked by a 1600+ and a Radeon 9700PRO.

In your case, though, you already have plenty of computing power. Are you really having any trouble running any games with that system? If so, I'd like to get a copy of that game :) .

Back