• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Curious MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 20 GB Card pops up on FB Marketplace

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

"An unusual MSI RTX 3080 Ti SUPRIM X graphics card is up for sale, second hand, on Facebook Marketplace—the Sydney, Australia-based seller is advertising this component as a truly custom model with a non-standard allocation of VRAM: "Yes this is 20 GB not 12 GB." The used item is said to be in "good condition" with its product description elaborating on a bit of history: "There are some scuff marks from the previous owner, but the card works fine. It is an extremely rare collector's item, due to NVIDIA cancelling these variants a month before release. This is not an engineering sample card—this was a finished OEM product that got cancelled, unfortunately." The seller is seeking AU$1100 (~$740 USD), after a reduction from the original asking price of AU$1,300 (~$870 USD).

MSI and Gigabyte were reportedly on the verge of launching GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 20 GB variants two years ago, but NVIDIA had a change of heart (probably due to concerns about costs and production volumes) and decided to stick with a public release of the standard 12 GB GPU. Affected AIBs chose to not destroy their stock of 20 GB cards—these were instead sold to crypto miners and shady retailers. Wccftech points out that crypto-oriented units have identifying marks on their I/O ports."

nuts man! if you wanted to and found someone to do it, have them solder on the higher ram. then grab a bios from the card and flash it!

I wonder how stable it was considering there were no drivers to deal specifically with the 20gb VRAM, every video I saw so far of the modded 3070s worked but had some issues after...

higher v-ram is not driver based, well i do not think at least. what about the guy that modded his card with a switch to go higher then to lower ram size. only thing about higher V-ram is bios related though and getting it all addressed by the card/gpu to the system.

Back