• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Damn this 650 is sweet!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hmmm?

Try running it where you ran your pi test. 265 X 17 see where it gets to at that setting. At 4500mhz you should score around 6800 I would suspect.
The dual core will always win at pcmark by the way. you also need to download the latest super pi version 1.4 the one you are running looks to be the one patched for SSE3. I can tell by your fast time and by the fact the numbers are whole with no decimal points. 1.4 cpounts to the 1/1000th of a second and is harder to get a fast score on. Keep playing with it and you will hit the sweet spot!!

WZ

LMAO oh you thought all that extra core on your dual was doing was creating extra heat LOL. No seriously that score seems within reason for your clock speeds. Some people running their 6** at 300 fsb with a locked multi only get around 6k in pcmark04. Watch the last two graphics tests; if they aren’t running smooth then you will see it in your score. Also do the /usepmtimer value it helps with pcmark04 and 05, not to mention alot of every day stuff(like firefox for example). Info on that here .

WeldZilla said:
you also need to download the latest super pi version 1.4
Where can i find that, i did a quick google search and all that comes up is V1.1e?

hyperasus said:
LMAO oh you thought all that extra core on your dual was doing was creating extra heat LOL. No seriously that score seems within reason for your clock speeds. Some people running their 6** at 300 fsb with a locked multi only get around 6k in pcmark04. Watch the last two graphics tests; if they aren’t running smooth then you will see it in your score. Also do the /usepmtimer value it helps with pcmark04 and 05, not to mention alot of every day stuff(like firefox for example). Info on that here .
Actually i did notice on the last pcmark04 test it was flickering weird. How exactly do i add the /usepmtimer to the boot.ini? In the "System.INI" tab i expand the drivers tab, then edit the "Timer=timer.drv" to read "timer=timer.drv /usepmtimer"? I do have to say this thing runs a lot cooler than the 830D, I'm running my delta at 7V right now and my temps are 29°c idle @4GHZ. But i did get better numbers with the 830D, i would say all in all the two cpu's are very similar. I still have my 830D, i tried ebaying it and had no bidders. :eh?: I might pop it back in, not sure yet.

Last edited:
Yeah you were right WeldZilla, it is harder to get some good numbers with the new version of superpi! I was around 32 seconds @ 265x17=4.055GHz, so i lowered the multi to 14 and cranked up the FSB. 325x14=4.55GHz and this is what i got. I was also able to clock this to 336*14=4.704GHz, but not very stable. Man, these chips really clock well!
superpi7sc.jpg

dylskee said:
650 SL7Z7 Costa Rica 04A
3535B263

Ok, this is strange. I just ran pcmark04 at stock speeds just to see what kind of numbers i would get, @3.4GHz 5275. :eh?:
So i figured i would lower the multi and crank up the FSB, i went to 265x14= 3.71GHz, 5473. (Pcmark04 says it's running at 4.513GHz) I went to 285x14= 3.99GHz, 5859. These are horrible scores to say the least, i don't have anything running in the background either. I disabled my antivirus and killed all programs that were running. Does it have something to do with pcmark thinking i'm running a 17 multi but i'm really running a 14?

Has anyone else experienced such low pcmark04 scores with a 6xx series cpu? I got 7970 with my 830D, i would think i should be somewhere near that with a 650.

Do you have vsync enabled on your gfx card for games? that will kill your 04 score with the last two tests.
My 540 scores 6589 in pcmark04 at 3990mhz http://service.futuremark.com/servl...ojectdetails&projectType=11&projectId=2721667

Nasgul said:
Quick ques?

What are the memory timings?

What is the ratio you guys use?

Are the fan's rpm correct? 8k+ must sound like a jet engine.

So far my system is stable at 4.02 and was able to do a PCMark05 run at 240fsb but it craps out at 250fsb and my guess would be I need to raise the ram voltage to 2.3 or find a better devider, as I've tried 1:2 only. Or find a better cooling solution maybe?

My PSU is decent, I'm sure and I don't have a vidcar that requires a power connector so no power drain from there and the PSU has two fans but only the intake fan works as I've red learned when the inside of the PSU reaches certain temp, the exhaust starts to kick in but so far it has never.
So far i'm using a 1:1 ratio but i find a 3:4 ratio gives me better numbers on all benchmarks. My timings i haven't played with that much, i was running 4-4-4-12 and i went to 4-4-4-10 as of now. And yes, my fan is crazy *** loud! I recently volt modded it to 7V, very tolerable now. :)

There you go!! That is some nice OC'ing you got going on there!! I knew you would start getting that new system sorted out. Time to start playing with that mem too!!
Nice work

WZ

dylskee said:
How exactly do i add the /usepmtimer to the boot.ini? In the "System.INI" tab i expand the drivers tab, then edit the "Timer=timer.drv" to read "timer=timer.drv /usepmtimer"?
Does anyone know if this is correct, or do i delete the timer.drv?

After some tweaking this is what i got so far. I'm running 247x17= 4.2GHz with 1.375Vcore, memory @ 3:4 ratio with 4-4-4-10 timings. My idle temps are 30°c and dual prime load 43°c. I can run stable @ 4.5GHz but it requires 1.5 volts and there's not much performance gain so i'm happy with 4.2GHz and a fairly low vcore voltage.
3Dmark03= 17,762
3Dmark05= 7,881
Pcmark04= 6,431

Here's a screenshot of a 4.7GHz overclock.
4700ghz6ce.jpg

Hmm...don't know how I missed this thread 'till now, but anyway:

Very nice, dylskee! :cool:

Whether by luck or by skill, you've got one nice rig!

Ahhh...just messing with ya'! ;)

You spec'd some nice components, and were duly rewarded. Though, a little help from the silicon Gods never hurts, either.

And God Bless Costa Rica! :D

Just a couple comments:

1] Man, for all the worries about heavily binning the 6.xx as they've become more popular, it still seems like every new 6.xx thread around here seems to get better & better.

2] Dayemm....that Asus P5WD2 seems to be the overclocker's board of the moment!

If I see another one of these new P5WD2/6.xx "Wow! Look what this baby does without even trying!" threads, I'm gonna' look at my sig rig, & break down & cry. :cry:

Anyway, I'm (barely) hanging in there, for now, tho my sig rig's looking sorrier, by the moment. But, if the 65nM process change brings about the improvements some sites & sources have suggested, and Asus can implement the i975 chipset as well as it did the i955chipset in the P5WD2, then before too long, we may be in for one-real-nice-ride, whether you like your cores single, or double.

About time. We on the Intel side of the fence deserve our due. It's been a long time since we could crow about the release of the very nice P4C Northies vs the Athlon XP's.

From threads like this, I think there's a glimmer of some Intel light at the end of the tunnel that's might not be a train, this time (or the glow of a white hot Prescott).

Just some thoughts.

Anyway, not trying to hijack your thread, dylskee. Just thought my comments were relevant to you rig, and the several very similar threads that have popped up the last few weeks.

Have fun w/ur new toy! :beer:

Signed,

Envious as H*** :drool:

dylskee said:
Hmm, not sure, can't seem to find that option. Where can i find it?

You need to go into the nVidia Control Panel and click "performance and quality settings", then under "global driver settings" click thr dropdown box and select "Advanced settings", then in the pane below that you'll have to scroll down to "Vertical sync". Highlight that, and you have a few options, you can set it to "application controlled" using the checkbox, or you can uncheck it and turn it on manually by using the slider that lights up or turn it off. Turning Vsync off often improves bench scores. You want it enabled for gaming.

Hope this helps you. :)

Hey Stratcat, thanks for the praise, :attn: and i do have to admit that most of this overclock is LUCK! You never know what your going to get when you buy one and it looks like i got lucky. :D Excellent points you bring to light also. I wouldn't be too jealous either, you've got a pretty good setup there your self!

3DFlyer said:
You need to go into the nVidia Control Panel and click "performance and quality settings", then under "global driver settings" click thr dropdown box and select "Advanced settings", then in the pane below that you'll have to scroll down to "Vertical sync". Highlight that, and you have a few options, you can set it to "application controlled" using the checkbox, or you can uncheck it and turn it on manually by using the slider that lights up or turn it off. Turning Vsync off often improves bench scores. You want it enabled for gaming.

Hope this helps you.
Thanks 3DFlyer, i found that option and tried it but i actually got a slightly lower score when i shut it off. :shrug:

Congrats on the nice overclock! I have a very similar setup, and I have ben very impressed with how easily they can be pushed to some rather high numbers. I was just wondering if you have your gfx card overclocked. I am curious because I have my card cranked up pretty good, and I was extremely surprised to see I was keeping up with a comparable system with a GTX (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1417598).

Nice job on that overclock. Im looking to pick up either a 640 or 650 and im happy to see that they OC so nicely. Keep up the good clocking. :thup:

Vaio said:
Congrats on the nice overclock! I have a very similar setup, and I have ben very impressed with how easily they can be pushed to some rather high numbers. I was just wondering if you have your gfx card overclocked. I am curious because I have my card cranked up pretty good, and I was extremely surprised to see I was keeping up with a comparable system with a GTX (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1417598).
No i haven't overclocked the 7800GTX yet, stock cooler on it so when i get a water cooling setup i will clock it then.

inkfx said:
Nice job on that overclock. Im looking to pick up either a 640 or 650 and im happy to see that they OC so nicely. Keep up the good clocking.
Thanks I would definitely recommend either one, they clock great!!

Very nice OC'ing on the 650. I am currently running a 630 @ 4.2 I am looking to hopefully jump to a higher 6xx CPU.. maybe 660.. maybe 670. Hopefully I can get some nice OC'ing like you have.

At 4.7, is it even 1MB stable?

SAD

SuAsDu said:
Very nice OC'ing on the 650. I am currently running a 630 @ 4.2 I am looking to hopefully jump to a higher 6xx CPU.. maybe 660.. maybe 670. Hopefully I can get some nice OC'ing like you have.

At 4.7, is it even 1MB stable?

SAD
No, not stable at 4.7GHz, if i gave it some dangerous voltage i could do some benchmarks at that speed but i'm going to wait for the water setup and hopefully run at 4.5GHz stable. If your running a 630 @4.2GHz thats pretty good, i wouldn't waste the money on a 650 or 660 if your getting a stable clock @4.2. But i would waste my money if i could get a 670 for a good price but there too damn expensive! I'll wait for the Cedar Mill's i think.

Thanks for the quick response on the OC'ing. Maybe 4.7 will be benchable with Water :) That would be sweet.

I really want to join the 5Ghz club. I'm trying to get a DICE setup going here :) The low multi on the 630 is going to make it almost impossible to hit 5Ghz. So I need something with a bigger multiplier. I'm going to shop around. If I can get 660 or 670 for a decent price I might try. :)

SAD

Back