• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR3 1600 w/ i7: Clocking issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Why yes, yes it is. But there will be a Vdrop, (drop not droop) from BIOS which will put it at 1.45V, which is a bit on the high end but helps to work out a good overclock before attempting to lower it.

Set vcore to what your CPU needs for your oc. The settings in the pic are a little high but they should get you a clean boot with your mem @ 16000 then you can start relaxing them.

16000? Fastest ram ever! :D

Any luck yet?

No luck :( Just won't boot when I raise the BCLK. Doesn't help that every time it fails, I need to reset the CMOS, and do ALL the settings again. The CMOS reset button (and the battery, too) is hidden under the graphics card so I have to take that out, hit the button, reseat the graphics card... such a pain :p

16000? Fastest ram ever! :D

Any luck yet?

whoops.... I wish I had some ddr3-16000:)

No luck :( Just won't boot when I raise the BCLK. Doesn't help that every time it fails, I need to reset the CMOS, and do ALL the settings again. The CMOS reset button (and the battery, too) is hidden under the graphics card so I have to take that out, hit the button, reseat the graphics card... such a pain :p

From MIAHALLEN:press the power button rapidly 4 or 5 times...she starts right up . Okay start slow change your bclk to 137 then up by 3 till it wont boot. You have a good X58 board capable of 200+ bclk unless it defective.

Fill in this EVGA Bios Template with your current settings and post back we will get your mem sorted out.

Mother Board ( EVGA X58 X3 SLI )
Drivers ( )
Bios ( SZ1N )
CPU ( 965EE )
CPU Cooler ( Danger Den/water )
Memory ( OCZ Gold 1600 8 8 8 24)
PSU ( Thermaltake Toughpower 1200 )
GPU ( GTX295 X 2 )
Drivers ( 181.22 )
Operating System ( Vista 64)

Frequency Control
CPU Clock Ratio ( 24X )
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ( 133 )
MCH Strap ( Auto )
CPU Uncore Frequency (Mhz) ( Auto )
Spread Spectrum ( Disabled )
PCIE Frequency (Mhz) ( 100 )

Memory Feature
Memory Control Setting (Enabled )
Memory Frequency ( Auto )
Channel Interleave Setting ( 6 Way )
Rank Interleave Setting ( 4 Way )
Memory Low Gap ( Auto )
tCL Setting ( Auto )
tRCD Setting ( Auto )
tRP Setting ( Auto )
tRAS Setting ( Auto )
tRFC Setting ( Auto )
Command Rate ( Auto)

Voltage Control
EVGA VDroop Control ( With VDroop )
CPU VCore ( Auto )
CPU VTT Voltage ( Auto )
CPU PLL VCore (Auto )
DIMM Voltage ( Auto )
DIMM DQ Vref ( +0 )
QPI PLL VCore ( Auto )
IOH VCore ( Auto )
IOH/ICH I/O Voltage ( Auto )
ICH VCore ( Auto )
PWM Frequency ( 800 )

CPU Feature
Intel SpeedStep ( Disabled )
Turbo Mode Function ( Enabled )
CxE Function ( Disabled )
Execute Disable Bit ( Enabled )
Virtualization Technology ( Enabled )
Intel HT Technology ( Enabled )
Active Processor Cores ( All )
QPI Control Settings ( Enabled )
QPI Link Fast Mode ( Enabled )
QPI Frequency Selection ( Auto )

I'll give that a shot tonight and report back here, thanks.

Just to satisfy my intellectual curiosity, and guesses as to what is causing it to fail, given that the clock speeds on both memory and cpu are LOWER when I raise the BCLK and drop the multipliers?

Oops! Didn't read very carefully. You're asking about DDR3 timings, not DDR2. Can DDR3 really go with a 1T at naive speeds? Most DDR2 can't even do that.

Back