• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dead voodoo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

voodoolove

i was changing the heatsink on my V3 200 pci, i touched it!! arrrggghhhh!!! now it doesnt work, where can i send it to get the chip reset???? please help me as this card is the dogs bollacks when it works and i think i might cry if i cant fix it...!!!!!!!!! any help would be much appreciated!!!!!!

Looks like you 'shocked' it. Did yo ground yourself before touching the video card? Because I think thats what you did!

lay her to rest, let us have a moment of silence for the dead voodoo. You shocked it. You've learned this lesson the hard way, as many of us have.

On a different note, hi jeff, sedn me a forum (not ICQ) message, and WTF would happen if one of the voodoo5's 2 procs died?
would it still work??

XtremeOC (Apr 25, 2001 11:40 a.m.):
lay her to rest, let us have a moment of silence for the dead voodoo. You shocked it. You've learned this lesson the hard way, as many of us have.

On a different note, hi jeff, sedn me a forum (not ICQ) message, and WTF would happen if one of the voodoo5's 2 procs died?
would it still work??

it would still work.......but you'd only see half of your screen! [img=[URL]http://forums.overclockers.ws/forums/Public/Images/Default/E19.gif[/URL]]

Look on the bright side. You now have an excuse to buy a nice new Geforce2 card. A voodoo3 2000 wasn't all that great in terms of performance. I think you will be nicely surprised by how well even a lowly Geforce 2 MX performs in comparision.

No one like to kill a card, but if your cards dead it's dead and now that 3DFX is dead any warranty is probably dead as well. So, you might as well take this oppurtunuity to upgrade.

what you need 2 do is get 1 AA battery connect it to pins 1 and 32 which resets the chip

well, i got my voodoo3 2k but i likes.
DAMN SHE'S HOT!!!

oh well..
it's better then my savage4, but 2d kinda sucks with this thing.

voodoolove (Apr 26, 2001 08:52 a.m.):
what you need 2 do is get 1 AA battery connect it to pins 1 and 32 which resets the chip

where do i find pin 1 and 32?? there arnt many pins on the board and i cant find em!!!!
please email me or summat tellin me!!ppplllezzzzz it would be much appreciated!!

I don't know where you got this idea of hooking a AA battery to the pins on your chip, but I think whoever told you that was trying to make a joke. If your card has been damaged by static electricity then it's dead and there is no easy way to fix it. The manufacturer might be able to find and isolate the chip that was damaged and remove it from the board and replace it with a new one, but I doubt they would even do that. Most of the time nowadays circuits are not repaired at the component level. Instead they just replace the board with a working one. It's just not practical for them to do so.

Anyway, the next time you install or remove components from your computer you need to take appropriate anti-static precautions. In addition to anti-static procedures you need to also remember to turn the power off completely so there is no power going to the motherboard. On todays ATX motherboards there is actually power on the motherboard when the system is turned off. To turn this off there is usually a switch on the back of the computer which is on the back of the power supply that will trun off all power going to the motherboard. However, many power supplies may not have this switch and if your does not then you need to unplug the computer to ensure there is no power on the motherboard.

Back