• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Designing a new line of water cooling components. Seeking your input, ideas and

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

guitarmaniac24

Registered
Hi everybody! First post here. Thanks for stopping by!

My name is Jason, I'm from Boston MA. I'm a machinist by trade, a maker & an entrepreneur and a (broke) computer enthusiast haha.

I recently thought of creating a new line of high quality water cooling components and am just about finished with the design phase of my first prototype, a simple reservoir.

Before I move forward or post any images, renderings, videos, brand names, release dates etc. I'd like to move onto doing a bit of market research.

My hope with starting this thread is to get an outside, more experienced point of view from you guys/girls on any improvements, capabilities, wants or needs that might be missing from your current water cooling rig.

So tell me, what really grinds your gears?

tl;dr: Designing new line of water cooling components. Tell me what sucks about your current loop!

what sucks about water cooling?
first off why use 1/2 inch tube when the fittings are all 3/8 ID?

My wish list:
A universal block with mounting that will fit any platform made in the last 15 or so years.

what sucks about water cooling?
first off why use 1/2 inch tube when the fittings are all 3/8 ID?

Noted! Properly sized tubing is the way to go. What is your preferred size?
My wish list:
A universal block with mounting that will fit any platform made in the last 15 or so years.
I think this could be done with a modular/adjustable design that I've been considering for the future. Out of curiosity, in your opinion what are the most important features necessary to creating a truly universal block?

Noted! Properly sized tubing is the way to go. What is your preferred size?

I think this could be done with a modular/adjustable design that I've been considering for the future. Out of curiosity, in your opinion what are the most important features necessary to creating a truly universal block?
Mounting system would have to be pretty compact to be used on some boards. IMO, there would have to be multiple mounting plates that were interchangeable. No single universal plate would fit every board. I've already tried that.
Block itself would have to be thicker too probably, to clear the tall caps around some platforms.

I think designs are going to be a big thing when it comes to selling blocks, outside of being with in spec as the other blocks in flow and heat dissipation. I think it has to look a bit modern if you will and possibly having some type of lighting to them as some mfgers have headed that way, let alone MB, case, etc makers have been. They're saying 2017 is the year of RGB.

Some ideas I can think of that would interest me as a customer one day would be a block that has interchangeable plating/acrylic of colors so you have the option of changing the color of the lighting on say a stationary white LEDs module on the block.

Another block I would be of interest but would be more complex is a block with RGB lighting but that would need some type of connection and software control but that's a whole other beast. lol

I also agree with the rest of the members that a block should be universal for most of the sizes.

Universal is a great asset for a block to have, and benchers may be willing to give up a bit of performance for compatibility as to maximize use across their platforms

However most water cooling enthusiasts are not benchers. Many are not willing to give up even 1C.

Then you have custom builders that ware will to give up a bit of performance for wow factor

So in my world you have 3 customer profiles

Performance
Versatility
Bling

Can you hit all three with one design ? maybe, but not likely

Mounting system would have to be pretty compact to be used on some boards. IMO, there would have to be multiple mounting plates that were interchangeable. No single universal plate would fit every board. I've already tried that.
Block itself would have to be thicker too probably, to clear the tall caps around some platforms.

If you were going to go back and compile a list of cpu sockets that should be compatible for a universal block to be worth anything, what would that look like in your mind?

I think designs are going to be a big thing when it comes to selling blocks, outside of being with in spec as the other blocks in flow and heat dissipation. I think it has to look a bit modern if you will and possibly having some type of lighting to them as some mfgers have headed that way, let alone MB, case, etc makers have been. They're saying 2017 is the year of RGB.

Some ideas I can think of that would interest me as a customer one day would be a block that has interchangeable plating/acrylic of colors so you have the option of changing the color of the lighting on say a stationary white LEDs module on the block.

Another block I would be of interest but would be more complex is a block with RGB lighting but that would need some type of connection and software control but that's a whole other beast. lol

I also agree with the rest of the members that a block should be universal for most of the sizes.

Noted. My goal design wise is to create something that feels solid rather than just plastic components, captures the modern "high tech" theme, but also gives you room to keep it classy or make it sassy, if you will haha

Also, same question to you:
If you were going to go back and compile a list of cpu sockets that should be compatible for a universal block to be worth anything, what would that look like in your mind?

Universal is a great asset for a block to have, and benchers may be willing to give up a bit of performance for compatibility as to maximize use across their platforms

However most water cooling enthusiasts are not benchers. Many are not willing to give up even 1C.

Then you have custom builders that ware will to give up a bit of performance for wow factor

So in my world you have 3 customer profiles

Performance
Versatility
Bling

Can you hit all three with one design ? maybe, but not likely

This is an extremely useful insight. Thank you! In your opinion, which 1-2 categories would be the smartest to focus on in designing this new brand?

Performance is always King and if you can get published top results you will sell blocks

I would design it with a nice retaining bracket for modern platforms as this demographic will want the block to be pleasing to the eye.

If you can incorporate a spider like bracket that has a low belly and a high retention area for muti platform as to avoid the caps Scott is talking about

This would have to be a disc like plate that is not to thin to maintain it's shape and drilled out to accommodate as many platforms as possible.

The design should be you can simply replace the modern retain with the universal, it could be sold separately as their is a limited customer base.

but that customer base is out there.

Not sure if that makes sense or not ???

Performance is always King and if you can get published top results you will sell blocks

I would design it with a nice retaining bracket for modern platforms as this demographic will want the block to be pleasing to the eye.

If you can incorporate a spider like bracket that has a low belly and a high retention area for muti platform as to avoid the caps Scott is talking about

This would have to be a disc like plate that is not to thin to maintain it's shape and drilled out to accommodate as many platforms as possible.

The design should be you can simply replace the modern retain with the universal, it could be sold separately as their is a limited customer base.

but that customer base is out there.

Not sure if that makes sense or not ???

Makes sense! The spider like bracket was the first thing I had in mind in regards to the cpu block, and your view has confirmed that this could be a very viable option. This is also something I could definitely machine to get a prototype up and running. What I'm wondering is where to start in regards to collecting the multiple types of mounting patterns that would need to be taken into account to ensure a truly universal design. I don't have much experience in that area...Any pointers on where to start? What types of mounting systems are standard today?

I found this in 30 seconds on google

mh.gif

But in all seriousness you will need to contact a motherboard manufacture, for all specifications of the different sockets

Foxconn comes to mind as one that may be helpful, have to think they have made boards for everyone at one time or another

good luck man, Would love to try a proto type out

I found this in 30 seconds on google

View attachment 186287

But in all seriousness you will need to contact a motherboard manufacture, for all specifications of the different sockets

Foxconn comes to mind as one that may be helpful, have to think they have made boards for everyone at one time or another

good luck man, Would love to try a proto type out

Aha that is extremely useful! Thank you
How many different socket types would you say are relevant to today's technology? Would the ones listed in the graphic you sent me cover the majority of types in use today?

Sorry for the most likely basic questions, I just don't have much experience in this area.

I will keep you up to date on testing prototypes!

To be honest when I was benching actively I used modern platforms

You should be talking to the cats over at Classic Platforms

Just throwing it out there on the AMD side T-Birds and up and Pentiums and up on the Intel side

To be honest when I was benching actively I used modern platforms

You should be talking to the cats over at Classic Platforms

Just throwing it out there on the AMD side T-Birds and up and Pentiums and up on the Intel side

That would be Warp9 now brah. lol

Make sure you also pay attention to the pressure drop across the block. You could have the best performance in the world, but will lose market if you need a turbo-geez-wow pump due to the pressure.

Make sure you also pay attention to the pressure drop across the block. You could have the best performance in the world, but will lose market if you need a turbo-geez-wow pump due to the pressure.

Gotcha. What's the best way to ensure no pressure drop when designing?

Trial and error.

How's your fluid dynamics?

You might be able to get a free 30 day trial on some software.

Trial and error.

How's your fluid dynamics?

You might be able to get a free 30 day trial on some software.
Don't have any experience with fluid dynamics....I could probably figure out the software though. Any recommendations?

Back