• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need better cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThreeDollarBill

Overclocking my Celeron 433 on a MSI 6163Pro...
Can get to 545 (83 FSB) with stock Intel HSF....
Try to go to 585 (90 FSB).....system POSTs fine...get to Win2k boot menu....I choose an option, little bit of HD activity....system freezes.....

Should I invest in a higher performance cooling solution? If so, which ones?
Or is there no hope and I'd just be wasting money?

Thanks.

Need to know what temp your CPU is getting to. If it is getting to 50c I would say yes you need more cooling. Not knowing what the temp is any advise is a guess at best.

You may need better cooling, what temps are you getting now?

More likely the high PCI bus is holding you back. Try jumping strate to 100MHz FSB and see if that works.

No...

No...
Chances are your CPU just can't run at that speed. Most older Celerons crap out at much over 550 MHz. Going for better cooling would just be wasting your money, IMO. If you want to spend some cash, invest it in a newer processor. Otherwise just save it for the time being. Buying a bigger heatsink won't really help you much in overclocking that 433.

No...

Nagorak (Dec 31, 2000 08:41 a.m.):
No...
Chances are your CPU just can't run at that speed. Most older Celerons crap out at much over 550 MHz. Going for better cooling would just be wasting your money, IMO. If you want to spend some cash, invest it in a newer processor. Otherwise just save it for the time being. Buying a bigger heatsink won't really help you much in overclocking that 433.
This too could very well be the case. Celery 566's are going for only a few smigins now($60), I'd go that route If I were you.

My temps are as follows:
System: 40C
CPU: 40C (+- 2)

I tried going straight to 100 FSB....sometimes the system POSTs then freezes.....mostly it doesn't even boot...

Back