• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do i need to worry about my gpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joncenawordlife

Hi
My system config:
Amd phenom x3 720BE
8gb ddr3 corsair xms3
Biostar ta790gxa3+
vx550w
nvidia xfx 9800gt 512mb

Yesterday i was cleaning the dust off my 9800gt gpu. After the job i plugged it in the pci-e slot but forgot to connect its fan connector to the pcb power connector.:(

Then when i started my system, within 10 mins the display went blank though there wasnt any hang or a bsod issue. I again restarted the machine and same result. 3rd time after reboot i immediately checked the gpu temps and it was a whooping 125C. :shock:

Immediately i shutdown the machine. And found that i forgot to attach the fan connector. But the card was red hot to touch. I left it too cool for 1/2 hr and the after attaching the fan, turned on my pc. Now the temps were within 50c and for next 3 hours nothing bad happened and all was going smooth. I even played crisis and other games for an hour and still the temps didnt crossed 70c.:)

Still i want to ask, running at such high temps,125c even for 15mins, can any damage be done to the card components from inside? The card is still under 6 months of warranty.

Right now the card is working as it was before, perfectly fine.
Do i need to worry about it anymore? :-/

Last edited:
You should be fine, it sounds like it protected itself and shut it down. How'd you still have 6months of warranty on a 9800gt that is about 5 years old?!

As Janus said you will be fine, the system will usually turn off well before any damage can be caused.

As for warranty, I had seen 9800's for sale up till a year or two ago. Also many vendors offer 5yr warranties(Gainward, Zotac etc.).

You should be fine, it sounds like it protected itself and shut it down. How'd you still have 6months of warranty on a 9800gt that is about 5 years old?!

Coz it was bought in late 2009 :D

I have posted this query on other forums and people say that my cards life span may have shorten due to its high temps. :( How far is this true...

It may or it may not, I guess it just depends on how it acts from now on. I mean if the card doesn't last 8 years will you be disappointed?

Back