• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DRM problems or Burning Software Problems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheCheat

I'm trying to burn a cd on Vista x64, but the default software that comes with Napster and iTunes isnt recognized. It tells me that the software isnt installed properly, for both programs. Which leads me to think it isnt compatable with the 64bit OS. Alright, no big deal. I'll just use WMP since napster and wmp play nice together. Well I bought the song "nine inch nails - just as you imagined" (300 trailer music, woot!) on napster.

Now, on previous versions of windows, wmp would burn songs that I had already purchased with no problem what so ever. Im not so sure this is the case anymore. WMP will start buring the song and the writing process reaches 100% for the song, but WMP continues to do something ot the disk and it takes about 5 minutes to finish the burning process (for one song!!!). It then tells me it encountered an error saying "make sure your dvd drive is plugged in correctly as it isnt responding". The drive is rendered useless after this process(meaning it wont open so i can retrieve the disc), and the only fix is to reboot the machine.

I decided to see if the drive was the problem by playing eragon on it... a fairly lengthy movie and if the drive fails to recieve power after a period of use, it would fail while watching the movie. Played through fine. Then I thought that maybe the drive uses a bit more power burning a CD, so I decided to back up my southpark episodes to see if that would work. It burned the episodes to the CD, no problems. I used the windows built in data cd burning software for this task.

Okay, so Im stumped. Is this the nasty effects of DRM? Or is WMP11's burning software completely junk?

TheCheat said:
I'm trying to burn a cd on Vista x64, but the default software that comes with Napster and iTunes isnt recognized. It tells me that the software isnt installed properly, for both programs. Which leads me to think it isnt compatable with the 64bit OS. Alright, no big deal. I'll just use WMP since napster and wmp play nice together. Well I bought the song "nine inch nails - just as you imagined" (300 trailer music, woot!) on napster.

Now, on previous versions of windows, wmp would burn songs that I had already purchased with no problem what so ever. Im not so sure this is the case anymore. WMP will start buring the song and the writing process reaches 100% for the song, but WMP continues to do something ot the disk and it takes about 5 minutes to finish the burning process (for one song!!!). It then tells me it encountered an error saying "make sure your dvd drive is plugged in correctly as it isnt responding". The drive is rendered useless after this process(meaning it wont open so i can retrieve the disc), and the only fix is to reboot the machine.

I decided to see if the drive was the problem by playing eragon on it... a fairly lengthy movie and if the drive fails to recieve power after a period of use, it would fail while watching the movie. Played through fine. Then I thought that maybe the drive uses a bit more power burning a CD, so I decided to back up my southpark episodes to see if that would work. It burned the episodes to the CD, no problems. I used the windows built in data cd burning software for this task.

Okay, so Im stumped. Is this the nasty effects of DRM? Or is WMP11's burning software completely junk?

Not sure, some descriptions that you give indicate that it disables your CD drive. I would try it in another machine with XP or an alternate installation on your current setup. But if it plays a movie and can burn other CD's, it really sounds like it is being locked out.

Do you think using third party burning software would remedy the problem? (Nero for example?)

TheCheat said:
Do you think using third party burning software would remedy the problem? (Nero for example?)

I've had no issue with Nero. Then again I use to use WMP for burning but its been a long time since I've used it. I always use Nero now.

Back