• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dry Ice pipe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nvidiaOCmaster

I got some dry ice, but I dont have a cooler!!!

How do I connect the pipe(I would like to use PVC) to the cold plate?

Yea, but I used sillicone and a soda can....Im sure you can already see my outcome with it.....wasnt so good :-/

so....no epoxy?

nvidiaOCmaster said:
Yea, but I used sillicone and a soda can....Im sure you can already see my outcome with it.....wasnt so good :-/

so....no epoxy?

I fear for the lack of education in math, physics and chemistry in todays society.

Different materials expand and contract at different rates with variation in temperature. Now if your copper plate expands at one rate, your glue at another and your pvc pipe at another what do you think will happen. The joints will break and you will have dry ice on your motherboard not in your pipe. That being said the pipe will probbably crack even before the joints give.

The way this is done propery is a tube machined from a solid piece of copper. You can buy them from people who make them in the for sale section. Chances for a good buy are better as xtremesystems

here is one:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113665

Thanks!

Although I do not appreciate your respect to my education, im only 15, I havent taken physics and all that stuff yet.

I apologize, no flame intended.

Its just that I understood that when I was 10, but then again I went to a russian school. I guess american education system is really in a rut.

Your 100% right... American education is s**t!!

I learned more hands on with my computer and the internet than I have ever learned in school.

nvidiaOCmaster said:

I learned more hands on with my computer and the internet than I have ever learned in school.
haha that's pretty much true...

Pf.Farnsworth said:
I fear for the lack of education in math, physics and chemistry in todays society.

Different materials expand and contract at different rates with variation in temperature. Now if your copper plate expands at one rate, your glue at another and your pvc pipe at another what do you think will happen. The joints will break and you will have dry ice on your motherboard not in your pipe. That being said the pipe will probbably crack even before the joints give.

The way this is done propery is a tube machined from a solid piece of copper. You can buy them from people who make them in the for sale section. Chances for a good buy are better as xtremesystems

here is one:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113665
That's not a solid copper pot, it's brazed. Copper pipe and cap.

Its not that its not avalible, its just not government funded. Private schools are doing well, but when you push people against their empty wallets it doesnt matter how willing they are to learn if they cant afford it. In a way the publuc education system, or the lack of a decent one, is responcibe for bringing the average IQ of people in this county down and alot of stupid things resulting. I think if america went the way of europe with free education on any level for the willing this country would do alot better, but what do I know, I am just a nerd with a keyboard.

nvidiaOCmaster said:

well, you're only 15. Your opinion on how much you can learn at home vs. school will change drastically.

Some Russian guy already built a container with plexi and a copper base, and if I remember right he tested it and it did not leak. However acetone is totally out of the question and that is easily the best liquid medium when using dry ice. Your best bet would be to use copper tube & base with silver solder or similar, maybe even JB Weld if the tube and base are both the same material. That might work for a few sessions ;)

El<(')>Maxi said:
Some Russian guy already built a container with plexi and a copper base, and if I remember right he tested it and it did not leak. However acetone is totally out of the question and that is easily the best liquid medium when using dry ice. Your best bet would be to use copper tube & base with silver solder or similar, maybe even JB Weld if the tube and base are both the same material. That might work for a few sessions ;)

Im wanting to build a tube for some dryice/ln2 runs can I use mapp gas to solder the plate with the tube together or do I need something hotter? I have a mapp torch at home atm but didnt know if that kind of solder (that I use for water pipes and crap at the house) would work under those temps or not (really wanting to play with some ln2 since I can get it locally)

figured Id ask the guy with the tube as his avatar and Ive seen some of the other threads with some of your works in progress. :drool:

mr. roboto said:
well, you're only 15. Your opinion on how much you can learn at home vs. school will change drastically.
Depends on if you mean pubic school or college. I'm 26 and say I learn more now than I did in High School. When i was in High School I barley knew how to turn a computer on and make it do anything.

nvidiaOCmaster said:

*You're* See Education sucks here :)

Back