• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dry Ice pipe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nautica said:
Im wanting to build a tube for some dryice/ln2 runs can I use mapp gas to solder the plate with the tube together or do I need something hotter? I have a mapp torch at home atm but didnt know if that kind of solder (that I use for water pipes and crap at the house) would work under those temps or not

I've never tried it myself, I have heard of guys doing it and it worked fine however even a simple low temp solder job like that can be done good or badly. Are you good at soldering pipes? Do they leak after? :D If not I'd say you could build a tube that would work for at least a few good sessions, it might crack or something somewhere along the line but it may not also. To some people that risk isn't justified once os it's up to you.

Well, Ive got some copper pipe laying around, now I just gotta find somthing to use as a contact plate. Where can I get the proper material for this?

Also. Do I need alot of pressure when running dry ice benchmarks? If I do, its not a problem, it will just take longer to formulate a way to get pressure on the CPU.

EDIT!: My dad has a friend who welds, and Ive decided to do this properly.

First of all, I need to know where I can get a contact plate. Second, how thick should the copper I use be?

Last edited:
Nautica said:
Im wanting to build a tube for some dryice/ln2 runs can I use mapp gas to solder the plate with the tube together or do I need something hotter? I have a mapp torch at home atm but didnt know if that kind of solder (that I use for water pipes and crap at the house) would work under those temps or not (really wanting to play with some ln2 since I can get it locally)

figured Id ask the guy with the tube as his avatar and Ive seen some of the other threads with some of your works in progress. :drool:

A mapp torch is hot enough to braze.
Use brazing rod and flux. :)

OK! Ive found a place where I can get the stuff I need. Will aluminum work?

http://www.onlinemetals.com/

Does it llook like I can get stuff from there without being ripped off? Where do you who have made d ice/LN2 coolers get you're stuff?

What metal shoul I use? I gan get the samplers that they offfer, because a 4x4 peice is big enough to get by on.

can I braze copper at home? Ive got a torch, but I need oxygen and somthing else to use it.

You don't need anything special. I made a dry ice box out of some old copper gutter with some plumbing solder and a propane torch, the step by step is here.

Sorry, its a little "ghetto" so to speak, but it still works fine today after being treated like poo.

Copper has the best thermal properties at an affordable price, but you might be able to use aluminum. I would use a fairly thin plate (maybe 1/16in - 1/8in), too thick and it would limit heat transfer.

Y not just go to a pipe supply place get the biggiest cap you can find and get some black iron stell pipe to screw into the cap then jb weld around the 2...

Darur said:
You don't need anything special. I made a dry ice box out of some old copper gutter with some plumbing solder and a propane torch, the step by step is here.

Sorry, its a little "ghetto" so to speak, but it still works fine today after being treated like poo.

Copper has the best thermal properties at an affordable price, but you might be able to use aluminum. I would use a fairly thin plate (maybe 1/16in - 1/8in), too thick and it would limit heat transfer.

I guess you've never seen my case.... ghetto is its name.

How is it comming got some pictures for us yet :)

PS:
Some members here and on xtremesystems.org make very good pots for very cheap. Might want to ask around for pricing, maybe you can get a good deal. Also check out the for sale section here and at XS, sometimes a few for sale real cheap. Might turn out it would only cost 10-20$ more to buy one then make your own.

Here is one for sale for $70 (shipping included - anywhere in the world)

Pf.Farnsworth said:
How is it comming got some pictures for us yet :)

PS:
Some members here and on xtremesystems.org make very good pots for very cheap. Might want to ask around for pricing, maybe you can get a good deal. Also check out the for sale section here and at XS, sometimes a few for sale real cheap. Might turn out it would only cost 10-20$ more to buy one then make your own.

Here is one for sale for $70 (shipping included - anywhere in the world)

Ill register and look into that later, mom is riding my *** to do some housework.

Ive not got much done in the past few weeks, Ive missed alot of school, and im trying to catch up.

A few months ago, my dad redid some piping under the house with PVC so ive got a BIG peice of 1 1/2 innch copper pipe. IIts thin though, will it still work?

Id like to get good quality looks, i will be making a few "Prototypes" before working tword a really nice one.

EDIT: While cleaning the kitchen.... I had a crazy idea.... I think it might work too..

pict0605xn1.jpg

Last edited:
Do you guys think it would work?

Im going to test it with some good ol' ice and water, outside of the computer before wasting the last of my D-ice in the rig(me and by brothers used alot of it to blow s**t up lol), I cant OC any more on it anyway :rolleyes: I don't see a need to use it now, other than to see what crazy low temps I can get.

All in all, I doubt it will work, i would have to insulate hella good.

Epox4life said:
Is that can stainless steel? If it is, it will be horrible.

Most likley. It was a good thought.

Anyway, what metal should I use? Im going through this site looking for the right metal.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=155&step=2

Should I buy from this site? should it be trusted or will it be a ripoff type thing?

Also, is that the right metal? a 4"X4" sheet should suffice for a contact plate right? That way, I can get the sample pack for 7$ and save moola.

.032" too thick?

The can might actually do alright, gotta be careful when the rig gets loaded though it will crash very quickly. There is an ALU mousepot on XS FS right now, you should grab it. $100 or best offer ;)

Just to chime in on education, you can get a great education in a public school if you look for it (read: pay attention in class). I honestly know more than my friends not because I'm smarter than them (in fact the converse is true in most cases) but I paid attention to the fine details in the textbooks and in the lectures. I didn't do anything extraordinary and I was ranked about 240-something out of 700 in my graduating class. The key was that I didn't sit back and say "my education is ****." Instead I said "If I sit around, yeah my education will look as bad as everyone who's busy twiddling their thumbs."

I think if any of the 30+ year olds in here went back to high school (mine at least) they'd be impressed by it.

-----

There are guides on brazing out there and cheap propane torches can be found for around $50 usually (often times less). You're probably better off lapping a copper cap flat and brazing it together with a copper pipe.

nvidiaOCmaster said:
Most likley. It was a good thought.

Anyway, what metal should I use? Im going through this site looking for the right metal.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=155&step=2

Should I buy from this site? should it be trusted or will it be a ripoff type thing?

Also, is that the right metal? a 4"X4" sheet should suffice for a contact plate right? That way, I can get the sample pack for 7$ and save moola.

.032" too thick?

Online Metals is a good place to buy, you want about 1/2" thickness and a probably something like 5" long by about 3" wide. Then pick up a 1' long piece of 2.5" copper tube. Braze it it up and you just might have a working tube. (assuaming your brazing is good and doesn't crack under the temperatue changes.

@ Maxi

I want to make it by myself, so I can make it. I want to do it myself.

Ill be getting some metal and making my own. Im getting the metal soon, Ill take pics ;)

nvidiaOCmaster said:
Thanks!

Although I do not appreciate your respect to my education, im only 15, I havent taken physics and all that stuff yet.

Dude I covered rates of expansion that when I was 12

Back