• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual channel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

liftedcj7on44s

ok guys i need some help. can i inly run dual channel with the EXACT same memory sticks? i have 1 512 stick of samsung and 1 512 stick of some pny crap. they are in dual channel slots but only running in single channel. motherboard is a asus a8n-sli premium rev 1.02 bios 1009

You might be able to get mismatched sticks to run in dual channel mode if the RAM is organized the same way on both modules. I'd definitely try it before buying more RAM. Put the the stick that needs looser timings in the slot closest to the CPU.

memory

how do i find out which stick needs looser timings. right now both sticks are doing ddr416, these are ddr333 sticks. guess i should just swap them and find out. i think i may know why they wont run in dual channel though. the samsung stick is double sided and the pny stick isnt. but i will try to swap them and see what happens

Yes, I don't think you can get dual channel to run if the RAM isn't organized the same on both channels. However, the latest version of the A64 memory controller can handle two sticks on one channel and one on the other, which gives you the same mix of actual chips as one double-sided stick and one single-sided, so maybe there's hope.

liftedcj7on44s said:
how do i find out which stick needs looser timings. right now both sticks are doing ddr416, these are ddr333 sticks. guess i should just swap them and find out. i think i may know why they wont run in dual channel though. the samsung stick is double sided and the pny stick isnt. but i will try to swap them and see what happens

i've been able to mix ram and have them run dual channel on my socket a pc.

www.majorgeeks.com

look for and download cpuid or everest home edition.

with one stick in, open the app and it will show the spd ram timings for that stick.

do the same for the other. then manually configure your bios to the lowest ram timings.

hopefully your faster ram can run at the slower timings. then when you have time to fiddle with your setup try and see if adding vdimm will help tighten timings up.

update this thread.

memory

right now i am at 3 2 2 7 with vdimm at 2.9. i know thats high but thats what i had to do to get it to run like i wanted
so take 1 stick out read the timings, then do the same for the other stick and see which one has the looser timings?? then set both timings to the one that was the loosest. then i can get dual channel? did i cypher that right???

memory

ok i tried everything. here is a list of what i did
1.powered down computer, removed 1 stick from b1 left other stick in a1, cleared the cmos, rebooted and got the timings from cpu-z.
2.removed stick from a1 and put other stick in a1, cleared cmos, booted ran cpu-z got the timings. both were the same. 2.5,3,3,7,10,16.
3. put both sticks in black slots this time, cleared cmos, went into bios and made sure timings were set to 2.5,3,3,7,10,16. booted checked cpu-z timins were correct still no dual channel.
4.gave up put sticks back in a1 and b1(both blue slot),cleared cmos,rebooted ran cpu-z still says single channel.
now i tried swapping the sticks that were in there like the one in b1 i put in a1 and so on so on still no dual channel. I dont know what to do. right now i am over clocked to 240x10 memory set to 3,3,3,7,10,16. this gives me 200mhz ram speed according to cpu-z but no dual channel. i had this thing at 260x10 prime stable and all that good stuff but i had to run my memory at 166mhz in my bios and my ram suffered badly, couldnt get it any higher that 125mhz according to cpu-z so i back my overclock down to 2400mhz and now i can get my memory to 208mhz stable and system seems faster so i know that the memory "does"make a difference on a a64.so what do i do stay where i am and give up on dual channel til i get some matched ram? also i am running 1t timing.

Last edited:
Back