• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Opteron rig with software OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thamuza

OK I'm looking to build a new rig.. I do some gaming ..Mostly MMO's..WoW/Rift..but I do quite a bit of DVD ripping/coding and multitasking..I basically want a monster system that can serve purposes as a media encoder/streamer/server..and mild gaming rig.

These are the specs

ASUS KGPE-D16 Dual Socket G34
x2 AMD Opteron 6134 (Interlagos equivalent)
x2 Noctua NH-U12DO A3
x2 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
x2 PowerColor PCS+ Vortex II Edition AX6950 2GBD5-PPVG Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 (Crossfire)
ASUS MIO-AUDIO 888 MIO Sound Card
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro Series FM-25S2S-120GBP2 2.5" 120GB SATA II
x3 Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V
x2 SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-222AB
Chieftec BA02
Windows 7 Ultimate

I know that this motherboard has no OC features so I will be attempting to OC using software (clockgen, FSB...)

Can anyone see a problem with this rig..this will be my first dual CPU rig and my first time using software to OC..
any help would be appreciated

OK I'm looking to build a new rig.. I do some gaming ..Mostly MMO's..WoW/Rift..but I do quite a bit of DVD ripping/coding and multitasking..I basically want a monster system that can serve purposes as a media encoder/streamer/server..and mild gaming rig.

These are the specs

ASUS KGPE-D16 Dual Socket G34
x2 AMD Opteron 6134 (Interlagos equivalent)
x2 Noctua NH-U12DO A3
x2 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
x2 PowerColor PCS+ Vortex II Edition AX6950 2GBD5-PPVG Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 (Crossfire)
ASUS MIO-AUDIO 888 MIO Sound Card
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro Series FM-25S2S-120GBP2 2.5" 120GB SATA II
x3 Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V
x2 SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-222AB
Chieftec BA02
Windows 7 Ultimate

I know that this motherboard has no OC features so I will be attempting to OC using software (clockgen, FSB...)

Can anyone see a problem with this rig..this will be my first dual CPU rig and my first time using software to OC..
any help would be appreciated

:welcome:! :thup:

I think you would be better served by going with an Intel 2600k processor and a z68 motherboard.

With the set-up you gave you are going to be paying over $1000 dollars just on cpu's.

A 2600k will overclock much easier and higher than the magny-cours you listed and you will still have 8 threads that are running faster and more efficiently than your spec'd system even if you can overclock them.

Also with the z68 chipset you will be able to use the integrated graphics in your 2600k to help encode video so with your 2 6950's and your integrated gpu you are looking at much faster encoding. Also a top of the like z68 motherboard is much cheaper than your dual processor motherboard you listed.

Also you depending on the motherboard you can get a smaller and use the smart response technology to speed up commonly used programs. you also won't have an issue with running out of sata ports since most mobos come with 8 ports. you will also get usb 3.0 support on the z68 mobo.

Over all you should get better performance for less money by going with a single 2600k and a z68 motherboard.

plus, good choice on the 6950's because you can flash the bios to unlock them to a 6970!

So, unless you are expecting for your system being very heavily used as a server/streamer you should be good with an 8 thread cpu and 1 intergrated and 2 dedicated gpu for encoding.

Once again :welcome:

Honestly, Sandybridge isn't the hot stuff it is made out to be. Something like a dual Xeon or Dual Opty is definitely going to give you more muscle. Possibly not for gaming, but for media creation, you can get 12 or 24 cores going. If you have the money, do it.
You should consider the Intel side too. Something like an EVGA SR-2 board with dual hex-core xeons would be nice and is a proven gaming platform as well as a good media creation platform. You get a lot more cache with server chips. Much better multitaskers. IMO Sandybridge doesn't even multitask as well as Bloomfield, though it is a faster cpu.

Back